Biola outlasts Soka 3-1

Biola leads game with early scoring and holds on to stay undefeated.

Johnathan Burkhardt/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Junior forward Stephen Tanquary kicks the ball away from a San Diego Christian College player on Oct. 22.

Kyle Kohner, Writer

After kicking the game winning shot in the 104th minute of overtime against UC Merced on Wednesday, forward/defenseman, Samantha Verdusco led the Biola women's soccer team into Aliso Viejo, Calif. to take on the Soka University women's soccer team led by junior forward Denim Belville. Belville currently sits second in Division I in game winning goals.

A Scoring Flurry

The women’s soccer team opened up the game with a flurry of goal scoring, adding 3 in the first half. Junior defender Kayla White was the first to find the net on a through ball from Junior forward Taylor Venegas. White’s first half goal is the first goal of her career.  

Halfway through the first period, sophomore midfielder Brittni Coffeen scored shortly after off a corner kick. Soon after a turnover by Soka University, sophomore Michala Martin scored to cap off Biola’s scoring flurry. 

Bend Not Break

Due to their big lead, the Biola women decided to switch to a bend but will not break defensive mentality and gave up a deflected goal off a free kick by Soka. 

As soon as the second period started, the game was over as the Eagles dominated ball control in the second half. The Eagles won by passing efficiently and having superb spacial awareness on the field. The biggest advantage the Eagles had coming into this game was their speed, as evidenced by their aggressive attacking forwards. 

Undefeated Victory

Coming into the game, Verdusco had a 55 percent in shots made. Out of the six shots on goals she had coming into the game, five have gone into the net at an alarming 83 percent of shots made. 

On the opposing side, Soka University came into the game having gone 2-4 on the season. Though their record may not reflect it, Soka scored in bunches, giving them the ability to keep games close. Soka’s last game before tonight was a 0-4 loss to Westmont College.

Biola continues to stay undefeated with a 3-1 victory today. Their next game will be Tuesday, Sept. 22 at Menlo University at 3:30 p.m.