Funding cap on annual dorm events passed

The senate heard four proposals and voted on a funding limit on residence hall events.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

UPDATED: Apr. 28th at 4:55 p.m.

This week’s Associated Student’s senate meeting began with a discussion of the rising cost of annual dorm events, such as Alpha Hall’s Candyland and Horton’s Mosaic Masquerade.

The senate discussed whether or not a cap should be placed on how much AS would approve for funding these proposals.

“These keep students from saying we’re going to do bigger and better this year,” said Matthew Porter, vice president of finance. “It keeps the event a little more grounded.”

The senate had mixed opinions on the idea of a proposal cap, with some senators believing approved amounts should be left up to the senate.

“We should just be able to use our discretion depending on the event,” said Heather Huber, Stewart senator.

Proposals

The first proposal of the day came from business majors Katie Olesson and Josh Douglass on behalf of Student Orientation Services for new student planners. The SOS leaders explained that planners have been available for students to purchase in years previous, but only a few hundred are sold. While other years they have received funding from Student Development and were able to give the planners for free, which received a positive reaction.

Since the funding from Student Development was cut from their budget this year, the requested funding from AS would cover the cost of 1,400 planners.  

The next proposal was from the Tree Huggers Club. Brad Winsbury, senior business major, proposed for $210 in order to sponsor one of the four orange trees the Environmental Science department is planting outside of Emerson Hall.  

Next, AS Intramurals Coordinator Zach Castle, proposed for funding for the upcoming Stall Out! Frisbee tournament. The requested $575 would cover the cost of food for the event.

Lastly, AS president Tyler Hormel proposed to the senate for constitutional amendments to account for the AS shift to the Student Government Association and the Student Planning and Association.

Voting

In a same day vote, the senate voted 6 to 8 in favor of recommending a $5,000 cap on funding annual dorm events to next year's senate.

Next, the senate voted on Tyler Hormel’s proposal from last week’s meeting for catered food at the Ace Hotel Concert after-party in the amount of $2,000. The proposal was passed unanimously in the full amount.

All proposals from this week’s meeting will be voted on at next week’s meeting.