Spring melodies

A short list of songs to soundtrack your spring break.

Hayley Langdon, Writer

Spring is the beginning of night drives with the windows rolled down, the music turned up and cares fading away. This season always brings me to songs full of excitement for brighter days and an upbeat change from the soulful tunes of winter. Here is a short list of songs to help you start the warm transition from winter to summer.

“Life In Technicolor ii” — Coldplay

Although this song is from my high school days, it still elicits the same response — pure joy. Through both the words and the music itself, Coldplay delivers a song to their audience that speaks of finding light in unsure times and chasing it when found. If you are looking for a song to start your road trip with, this is the perfect song.

“Back To You” — Twin Forks

I first heard this song on the CW show “Reign,” when it was played during a wedding reception, a moment that completely captures the feel of this song. The mandolin in the song is quick paced and encourages the desire to get up and dance around. With the air of The Lumineers, the song from the group’s self-titled EP is definitely on my playlist for spring.

“Middle Of Nowhere” — Hot Hot Heat

This song just sounds like the last day of school. Your room is packed, the car loaded and the drive home just ahead of you, leading you to summer vacation. Great for a car ride to the beach with a group of friends or a backyard party, “Middle of Nowhere” can easily be the soundtrack to your spring. Even if it is only the song that persuades you to step back from your books to go enjoy college life, give it a listen when itching for summer.

“Wherever Is Your Heart” — Brandi Carlile

Starting off reminiscing about childhood, Brandi Carlile delivers a song that manages to mix the vibes of Creedence Clearwater Revival and Bob Dylan. I stumbled upon this song and artist simultaneously, and this song has stuck in my mind ever since. Like the other songs on the list, “Wherever Is Your Heart” makes me want to move around, ride a bike, go for a hike, anything to just get out and be a part of creation.

“Nobody Love” — Tori Kelly

A completely different feel from the rest of these songs, “Nobody Love” brings a hip-hop beat to the playlist. I have been a fan of Tori Kelly for some years now and love this new sound she brings to her listeners. Deemed the rising star of pop music, Kelly has the gift of a crazy vocal range. Take a listen to this catchy single from an artist from my hometown and a past Eddy performer.