New Virginia legislation pushes for improved student care

Two bills passed in Virginia to help identify and address students with suicidal tendencies and mental health issues, which have already been in place at Biola.

Sarah Pineda, Writer

The Virginia House and Senate passed bills HB 1715 and SB 1122, which require public universities in Virginia to construct policies and procedures for students with suicidal tendencies and mental health issues which includes notifying the students’ parents.

Virginia House delegates James LeMunyon and Timothy Hugo created the bills to properly address the needs of suicidal students after the University of Virginia insufficiently handled a suicide case to address the needs of suicidal students properly. The University of Virginia declined to comment on this issue due to pending legislation.

According to the HB 1715 bill, universities would be to required to establish policies and procedures that advise students, faculty and staff, including residence hall staff, of the proper procedures for notifying the threat assessment team when a student has exhibited suicidal tendencies or behavior.

BIOLA’S PROCEDURE

At Biola, when a student falls on the spectrum of exhibiting suicidal behaviors, Student Development places the student in a suicide assessment process. The student works with a Student Care Team and the Biola Counseling Center to receive the proper help and treatment.

“Our hope in the process is to get the student the support that they need to live safely. Our heart is to have them thrive and not just surviving during their experience,” said Katie Powell, director of Student Care.

Biola’s procedures for suicidal students are similar to the bills’ requirements for the University of Virginia. At Biola, faculty and staff are trained on how to approach this type of situation by reporting it to Student Development, who refer the case to trained therapist at the Biola Counseling Center.

“We don’t want the staff or faculty to feel like they need to carry that if they’re not trained in mental health issues,” said Powell.

IDENTIFYING AND ADDRESSING

Sixty-seven percent of college students tell a friend they feel suicidal before telling anyone else, according to the Campus Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention.

Powell believes there are many resources on campus to help a student who may be feeling suicidal and encourages friends of these students help them receive the appropriate help.

“Sit with them, be with them, and get someone who is trained in support,” said Powell.

Michele Willingham, director of internship training at the Biola Counseling Center, and a certified instructor for Mental Health First Aid and QPR Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper Training, leads a mental health first aid course at the Biola Counseling Center where students and departments on campus can complete a certification course to help someone experiencing a mental health issue.

“Suicide is the second leading cause of death among U.S. college and university students, so identifying and addressing the needs of suicidal students is not just important, it is imperative,” said Willingham.