Crime Log: Dec. 9 – Jan. 31

An incident of sexual battery, instances of disturbing the peace, and several incidents of petty theft occurred over interterm.

Sarah Pineda, Writer

DISTURBING THE PEACE — HOPE HALL 

Dec. 9, 11:54 p.m.

Students were playing basketball on the courts after hours and the officer asked them to stop.  

DISTURBING THE PEACE — HOPE HALL

Dec. 10, 1:08 a.m.

Students were playing music in the amphitheatre. An officer had them stop.

DISTURBING THE PEACE — SIGMA HALL 

Dec. 10, 2:27 a.m.

A resident called in a complaint that a fellow resident was watching television too loud. An officer talked to the resident and they turned down the television.

POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA — EMERSON HALL

Dec. 11, 10:30 a.m.

Resident Life notified Campus Safety, and the two departments made a joint investigation. The two students involved were referred to Student Development.

DISTURBING THE PEACE — HOPE HALL

Dec. 11, 11:22 p.m.

Students were playing basketball on the courts after hours.

SEXUAL BATTERY — HORTON HALL

Reported Dec. 12, between Dec. 11 at 11:30 p.m. and Dec. 12 at 7:00 a.m.

Student Development reported the incident to Campus Safety. Both parties involved are Biola students and the suspect was known to the victim. Student Development is handling the situation.

PETTY THEFT — HORTON HALL

HallDec. 13, between 11:10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.

Items were stolen from a dorm room in Horton. Campus Safety and the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department are currently investigating the matter.

PETTY THEFT— CHASE GYMNASIUM

Reported Dec. 13, occurred between Dec. 11 and Dec. 12

A student left their bag in the gym, and when the student returned the next day the bag was no longer there. Campus Safety and the Los Angeles Sheriffs Department are investigating the situation.

DISTURBING THE PEACE — SIGMA HALL 

Dec. 15, 2:02 p.m.

A floor resident called in a complaint that fellow residents were being too loud. An officer came and had them quiet down.

DISTURBING THE PEACE — HOPE HALL

Dec. 18, 11:46 p.m.

Students were playing basketball on the courts after hours. An officer asked them to stop.

HIT AND RUN: PROPERTY DAMAGE — BLUFF HOUSING PARKING LOT

Dec. 19, 11:55 a.m.

Originally reported as a hit-and-run, but it turned out a car rolled out of its space and hit the other car. The two owners have worked it out. The case has been cleared and there was no follow up necessary.

TRESPASSING — LOT N

Dec. 19, 2:21 p.m.

The officer made contact with the individuals who wanted to use the soccer field. Officer informed them that the track is open to the public but the soccer field is not, so the individuals left voluntarily.

HIT AND RUN: PROPERTY DAMAGE — ALPHA PARKING LOT K

Dec. 19, 2:49 p.m.

A staff member returned to his car and found the tail light broken. The case is still an open Campus Safety investigation.

TRESPASSING — LOT K

Dec. 19, 9:11 p.m.

An individual was cutting through campus on a bicycle. An officer told them that Biola is private property so biking through is not allowed. The individual left without incident.

TRESPASSING — BIOLA AVE. MAIN ENTRANCE

Dec. 20, 8:14 p.m.

An officer saw an individual on campus near the entrance and asked them to leave. The individual left campus immediately.

TRESPASSING — CHASE GYMNASIUM

Dec. 20, 10:21 p.m.

An officer told three high school students who were in the gym that Biola is private property and asked them to leave campus.

TRESPASSING — HOPE HALL

Dec. 20, 10:28 p.m.

Individuals were reported for playing on the basketball court, but they turned out to be Biola students.

VANDALISM — RANCHO CAMPUS

Dec. 21, 10:15 p.m.

Graffiti was found on one of the entrance signs of Rancho campuses. Campus Safety and Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department are investigating the matter.

TRESPASSING — UNIVERSITY DRIVE

Dec. 22, 1:00 p.m.

An officer stopped a vehicle driving unsafely through campus. The individual told the officer that they were just cruising through campus, and the officer asked them to leave.

POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA — HOPE HALL

Jan. 9, 1:08 p.m.

Student Development reported an incident involving two students to Campus Safety. Student Development is handling the matter.

GRAND THEFT— SUTHERLAND HALL

Jan. 20, between 11:45 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.

Laptops were taken from the building by a suspect disguised as a student. The case was referred to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department and the individual was arrested in San Diego on Jan. 27. The suspect, Karim Davis, was on the ten most wanted person’s list of an Alabama city, according to an email sent to Biola students, faculty and staff by Campus Safety.

BURGLARY — MARSHBURN HALL

Jan. 20, between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

This incident is part of the same incident that occurred on Jan. 20 in Sutherland Hall.

HIT AND RUN: PROPERTY DAMAGE — LOT G

Jan. 24, 9:27 p.m.

A student witnessed a hit and run and reported the incident to Campus Safety. Campus Safety contacted the driver who hit the car and gave the necessary information to the owner of the damaged car.

PETTY THEFT— CHASE GYMNASIUM

Reported Jan. 26, occurred Jan. 21 between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

A wallet was taken from the gym. The case was referred to the LASD and is still under investigation.

MISDEMEANOR SEXUAL ASSAULT — OFF CAMPUS

Reported Jan. 30, occurred in October 2014

An incident occurred off-campus and was reported to Campus Safety involving two Biola students. The case is an open investigation by Campus Safety and Student Development.

OBSCENE/THREATENING PHONE CALLS — OFF CAMPUS

Reported Jan. 30, occurred prior to Jan. 30

A student has been harassed via their cell phone for several months. Campus Safety and Student Development are actively investigating the situation.

GRAND THEFT — SOFTBALL FIELD

Jan. 31, occurred between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.

An item was stolen from the field. Campus Safety and LASD are investigating the case.

DISTURBING THE PEACE— LI APARTMENTS

Jan. 31, 10:36 p.m.

Residents complained about the apartment above them being noisy. Officers made contact and asked them to stop.

DISTURBING THE PEACE — TROPICANA APARTMENTS

Feb. 4, 1 a.m.

One of the other apartments was playing music loudly and jumping on the floor. An officer made contact and they stopped.