New semester brings new journalism chair

Professor Tamara Welter replaced professor Michael Longinow as chair of the journalism department at the start of the spring semester.

Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Sarah Pineda, Writer

Professor Michael Longinow passed on his chairpersonship to professor Tamara Welter at the beginning of the spring 2015 semester, as she develops fresh initiatives for the department in upcoming years.

Longinow approached dean of communication and fine arts Doug Tarpley last year to find a replacement for his position after working seven years as chair. As the visual and cross-cultural journalism advisor, Welter received the position due to her seniority in the department, organization and management qualities, according to both Longinow and Welter.

A CHANGE IN LEADERSHIP

“A part of the chair position is the organizing and managing of the budget, spreadsheets, reports and all these necessary administrative functions that is in part of the things I’ve found myself working over the years. It seems to fit me and maybe help as we grow,” Welter said.

Since becoming department chair, Welter has redirected her attention from her role as the visual media advisor and towards the entire journalism department.

“I think that’s one of my areas that I hope to contribute to the department — to build a foundation underneath some of dreams that will help to expand and grow to a greater capacity than perhaps we have been able to,” Welter said.

Welter managed the Haiti Project in the fall of 2014 while working alongside Longinow. She administered and managed the budget of the journalism department in preparation for becoming chair.

“As a faculty we work together and that’s something Dr. Longinow has promoted within our program. We’re a team and we all contribute in the dreaming and ideas for the department and I think that doesn’t change,” Welter said.

THE FUTURE OF THE PROGRAM

Diverting his full attention to the writing and publishing concentration, Longinow will plan programs and projects that will interest students in the concentration.

“I’d love to take students into writing projects in L.A. and there are just so many places we haven’t explored yet. Maybe expand the number of magazines we have,” Longinow said.

Patricia Pike, vice provost for academic administration, advocated for Welter’s promotion when Longinow left the position.

“She knows how to build a faculty in order to have students use all those different avenues in journalism,” Pike said.

Journalism majors appreciate Welter’s passion for Christ and believe it is an essential characteristic for her new position.

“I’m excited that she has new things to offer and bring to the table and a new perspective is always fun and beneficial,” said Victoria Leigh Ward, freshman public relations major and former student of Longinow and current student of Welter.