State ban might affect new athletic field plans

A new senate bill calls for research on the health hazards of synthetic turfs and stalls installations until 2018.

Photo illustration by Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

The early stage plans for a new athletic field could shift due to a new state senate bill that could prohibit public and private schools from installing synthetic turfs until January 2018.

POTENTIAL HEALTH CONCERNS

Discussions among facilities management and the athletic department for a new athletic field began previous to the bill proposed in December 2014. SB 47, proposed by California State Sen. Jerry Hill, would initially require the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment to conduct a study on the health effects of synthetic turfs by July 1, 2017 and present it to the California State Legislature. The ban will be in effect until January 1 2018, while the study is being conducted. A study conducted by Environment and Human Health Incorporated, an non-profit environmental organization, concludes that the rubber in-fill material found in synthetic turfs cause an array of health problems, from allergies to different forms of cancer.

The rubber material makes up a large majority of the entire field, as much as 90 percent, according to EHHI’s study. Biola’s field consists of artificial grass with a rubber and sand in-fill, said Brian Phillips, senior director of facilities management. However, not everyone is convinced of the safety hazards.

“There is currently no scientific evidence that links cancer to this rubber in-fill,” Phillips said.

A study by the University of California at Berkeley determined that synthetic turfs result in hardly any exposure to toxic substances.

“Generally, these surfaces, though containing numerous elements potentially toxic to humans, do not provide the opportunity in ordinary circumstances for exposure at levels that are actually dangerous,” according to the study.

Up until now the synthetic turf at Biola has not proved a health concern for student athletes.

“As far as I know there haven’t been any sickness connected with the field. Our trainers would be telling me about that,” said Dave Holmquist, athletic director.

POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES

Although there has not been any health issues directly related to the field, the athletic department and facilities management remain willing to make adjustments when considering a new field.

“My understanding is that improvements were made over time, but certainly if there are some real questions about it, then we certainly want to look into it more and address it,” Holmquist said.

Facilities management is pricing different fields and discussing alternative options with field providers. One alternative includes an in-fill made of cork rather than rubber crumbs. The field could be replaced as early as summer 2015, Phillips said.

The bill is currently in front of the Environmental Quality Committee, which, if approved, would then go to the Senate for a full vote in the summer.

“If we do decide that we want to use something different, it’s coming at a good time,” Phillips said.