AS Senate Rundown: Oct. 30

Date announcements for Midnight Madness, the Eddy and Mock Rock info night make up this week’s senate rundown.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Jessie McBirney, Writer

This week’s Associated Students Senate Meeting began with AS President Tyler Hormel giving sports updates. The basketball season started on Oct. 31 and volleyball’s senior night took place on Saturday. Biola might host soccer playoffs next week, although the final location remains unannounced.

Diversity liaison Cal Calica shared thoughts regarding negative remarks about the gospel choir posted on anonymous social media app YikYak. She urged senators to fight racism and discourage anonymous social media.

Two student representatives from the Student American Indian Fellowship came to talk about Native American Heritage Week, which will take place on campus from Nov. 10-14. Events include an outreach night at a Native American high school and Native American food night in the Caf.

VOTING

Senior theater major Kelli Mireles’ proposal for $4,000 to put on a production in Theater 21 passed in a seven to seven tie vote with one abstention.

The senate voted unanimously in favor of off-campus senator and biblical studies major Rick Anderson’s proposal to hold a free chili bar for commuter students before The Eddy on Nov. 9.

They also voted to pass in partial Spirit Events Coordinator Marissa Suarez’s proposal for $2,050 for additional blackout t-shirts to hand out to students in a seven to seven vote with one abstention.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Midnight Madness will take place in Chase Gymnasium at 11:09 p.m. on Nov. 9. The next Eddy will be held on Nov. 13. On Nov. 6, there will be an informational meeting in Business 109 for students who want to put together Mock Rock groups in the spring.