Midterm madness: Take a break with fun fall festivities

As a new season approaches, take a break from midterm madness and explore these fall activities.

As this new season approaches, take a break from midterm madness and explore these fall activities. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Candace Guereque, Writer

Since boots, beanies and scarves will hopefully soon make an appearance, students can finally start celebrating the fall season by taking a break from midterm madness. Thankfully, the Los Angeles area offers many autumn activities that can appeal to every festive Biolan, from some spooky Halloween activities to a dash of pumpkin spice in your everyday routine.

Haunted Hayride

The Los Angeles Zoo in Griffith Park provides a perfect place to fit in a little Halloween scare by taking a huge hayride through some spooky haunted mazes including the Dark Maze, named the scariest maze of 2012 and 2013. Followed by some hair raising fun on an old merry go round, thrill-seekers will enjoy this scarily fun Halloween activity.

General Admission: $30

Friday to Saturday: 7 p.m. —12 a.m.

Sunday to Thursday: 7 p.m. — 10:30 p.m.

Shawn’s Pumpkin Patch

One of the largest pumpkin patches in the Los Angeles area, Shawn’s Pumpkin Patch encourages that kid-at-heart attitude while providing hundreds of picture-perfect pumpkins for carvings and crafts. With food stands, carnival games, jumpers and face painting, students have a variety of fun activities for that kid deep inside of you that wants to celebrate fall. Best of all, general admission is free and the pumpkins are cheaply priced.

Sunday to Thursday: 9:30 a.m. — 7:30 p.m.

Friday to Saturday: 9:30 a.m. — 8 p.m.

Sweet!

This Hollywood sweet shop offers such a wide variety of candy that you will surely find your Halloween candy fix. From all the candy buttons you ever dreamed of to M & M murals of Eminem, the two full floors of this candy shop make you feel like a kid hunting for the perfect Halloween candy again.

Sunday to Thursday: 10 a.m. — 8 p.m.

Friday to Saturday: 10 a.m. — 9 p.m.

Harvest Homebodies

If you would rather stay in and watch endless amounts of Netflix during your free time this fall season, then some Halloween-themed Oreos and a pumpkin spice latte can perfectly complement your next movie or TV show night. Do not forget the Starburst candy corn to keep nearby as well — they are the next best autumn invention right behind pumpkin spice pop tarts.

For pumpkin lovers who may not be coffee drinkers or just not fans of hot beverages in the California weather, grab a few ingredients to mix up your own pumpkin spice smoothie. Visit this website for the recipe for this delicious study break snack.