Thinking about the pink ribbon

As Breast Cancer Awareness Month continues, students and faculty reflect on the stories and faces behind the pink ribbon.

| Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Sarah Pineda, Writer

Breast Cancer Awareness Month usually involves families and friends coming together to walk a 5k, slogans on shirts saying to ‘Think Pink’ and the symbolic pink ribbon worn by both men and women alike. The story behind the pink ribbon represents the strong fighters behind the cancer rather than a tactic to gain more money.

Acknowledging the works and benefits of Breast Cancer Awareness Month are important to those with a relative or friend with breast cancer.

“There’s so much fundraising, awareness, time and energy for raising awareness for breast cancer,” freshman journalism major Anna Warner said. “I’m almost wondering, where’s the cure?”

COMING FACE TO FACE WITH THE NIGHTMARE

In fall 2013, Warner’s grandmother discovered she had stage-one breast cancer during a regular mammogram. At the age of 80, Warner’s grandmother’s slow immune system and metabolism prohibited the cancer from spreading quickly.

“I knew she would be a fighter,” Warner said.

Breast cancer claims the lives of many women and, in rare cases men as well, who find themselves unprepared to come face to face with this nightmare. Approximately 232,670 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women in 2014, according to the American Cancer Society.      

Professor Melanie Vliet, who rejoined the Biola faculty in January teaching Spanish 101 after a 24-year hiatus from teaching, received two breast cancer diagnoses in 1996 and then again in 2006.

“The first time I was really scared. I needed to stay alive for my son,” Vliet said. “Biola is a great place to go through a crisis because you’re surrounded by wonderful people who care.”

Vliet had to undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatment for her cancer. When she had to leave work at Biola for her treatments, she insisted on working on the weekends to make up the work she missed.

CONTINUING THE FIGHT

Vliet supports breast cancer by creating pink ribbons through a form of lace making known as tatting.

“I’ve been able to donate over $800 to the American Cancer Society through my ribbons,” said Vliet.

Vliet supports the American Cancer Society through many of their programs, such as Reach for Recovery. This program pairs breast cancer patients with breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Awareness Month allows programs like these to become recognized by many who may struggle with breast cancer. Vliet has also participated in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Whittier every year and served as the Mission Delivery Chairperson for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in La Mirada in 2006.  

“I think breast cancer awareness has succeeded,” Vliet said.

Spanish professor Melanie Vliet holds a hat that she made with awareness ribbons that represent the members of her family that have had cancer. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

MORE THAN A RIBBON

Family and friends of breast cancer patients are also affected, as they struggle with the anticipation of losing a loved one. Freshman nursing major Emily Teegarden lost her mother to breast cancer at the age of eight. Her mother struggled with breast cancer for seven years during Teegarden’s childhood. She recalls a memory when her mother was in remission and came out of a doctor’s visit in tears with the news she had relapsed.

“It was definitely heart wrenching to see my mom like that,” Teegarden said.

Her mother had tumors that had metastasized in other parts of her body requiring multiple surgeries and chemotherapy. Teegarden’s mother, who worked as a nurse, inspired her to pursue a nursing major.

In her eighth grade year, Teegarden held a Breast Cancer Awareness fundraiser where she sold food and clothes with her friends and donated the money to the International Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Although she agrees with the purpose of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Teegarden feels as if it has become almost a holiday rather than a cause.

“It’s definitely important to understand that breast cancer isn’t just a ribbon. It’s a face and a name,” Teegarden said.