Boles fire devastates community

Finding hope in the aftermath of destruction, Biola student Cameron Peck receives support after the Boles Fire in Weed, CA destroyed his family home.

%7C+

|

Sarah Giovannini, Writer

Trees stand burnt from the Boles fire on the side of the road in Weed, California. | Photo courtesy of Dave Smith

The life of freshman physics major Cameron Peck changed significantly in just six hours on Sept. 15. His family home and all their possessions were destroyed in a fire that consumed his community.

“Around 11 a.m. I got a text from my friends saying that a fire started at the Boles apartments, which are about a mile away from my house…Around 5 p.m. I get out of one my classes thinking that they’ve already put it out, and at 6 p.m. I get the news that the fire has consumed my house and my whole community,” Peck said.

The fast-moving Boles fire blazed through 479 acres in the city of Weed, California last week, damaging or destroying 154 homes, said Suzi Brady, Siskiyou County CAL FIRE unit public information officer. The fire left residents little time for evacuation to the Mount Shasta Armory, the main evacuation center. Among those, Peck’s family lost their home and everything in it.

The fire is now completely contained, according to the CAL FIRE Incident Information website. A total of 453 personnel in 10 engines and 14 crews responded to the fire. Evacuation mandates were lifted on Sept. 19, and residents can now enter the area with identification. Fire crews continue to clean up the damage.

MILES AWAY, YET STILL IMPACTING STUDENTS

Peck is not the only Biola student who has experienced wildfires in their neighborhood. Freshman Alicia Lamotte, from Santa Barbara, has evacuated due to fires in the past.

“I’ve been evacuated four times from my own home. It’s kind of scary…when it’s really huge, and you can see the flames from your house,” Lamotte said.

Lamotte recalls the Jesusita fire in 2009, which quickly spread to her neighborhood.

“It’s just that stressful anxiety that I have to pack up my clothes and figure out what things are important….I got evacuated and no one was allowed up into my neighborhood,” Lamotte said.

Lamotte’s house was not damaged by any of the fires she experienced, but she says she understands the scenario the Peck family faces.

Map shows the area affected by the Boles fire in Weed, California last week. | Screenshot taken from Google Maps

SUPPORT FROM COMMUNITY

Peck’s community in Weed, as well as Angel Valley and Lake Shastina, have been greatly affected, but Peck is planning on staying at Biola despite the loss his family experienced.

“A lot of support is here. The Biola community is the only thing that’s keeping me going right now…It’s been a lot better transition than not having any support at all…That was the biggest thing the first two days, if I should just get a train ticket and go up and just drop out for the semester, but my parents texted me and told me I should stay. The resident adviser and the resident director told me I should stay,” said Peck.

For the resident director of Sigma, Julia Stanton, safety remains her first priority for students who come to her about a crisis situation back at home.

“We really do try to make students feel cared for when things like this happen, and since it’s a smaller community we are able to do that on a more personalized and individualized level….I would want the student to be in the safest place possible. Biola is safe; this is a good place to be for the time being,” Stanton said.

The other Sigma residents have also been very supportive of Peck, Stanton said.

“Sigma has a very strong social media presence. We actually have a Facebook group and a Twitter…so Cameron posted about some specific needs he had and students responded to that. I know that was a big blessing for him,” said Stanton.

Fellow Sigma residents have responded by donating clothes to Peck.

“The overwhelming support from my dorm is amazing,” Peck said.

The cause of the fire remains unknown, but it is a suspected arson. Anyone who can identify the cause of the fire will receive a reward of up to $10,000, according to the CAL FIRE incident information website.

The White House Petition website now has a petition to get federal aid for the city of Weed that will help to rebuild most of the houses.