Old history, new impact

Descendants of recent Biola presidents reflect on their family’s legacy at Biola, and on their personal experience at a school filled with their history.

Clockwise+from+top+left%2C+Ella+Corey%2C+Anders+Corey%2C+Matt+Chase%2C+and+Kevin+Botka.+For+these+descendants+of+recent+Biola+presidents%2C+their+families%E2%80%99+histories+give+them+a+different+grasp+on+Biola%E2%80%99s+past+and+present.+%7C+Melanie+Kim%2FTHE+CHIMES.+%7C+Katie+Evensen%2FTHE+CHIMES++

Clockwise from top left, Ella Corey, Anders Corey, Matt Chase, and Kevin Botka. For these descendants of recent Biola presidents, their families’ histories give them a different grasp on Biola’s past and present. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Alex Bell, Writer

Clockwise from top left, Ella Corey, Anders Corey, Matt Chase, and Kevin Botka. For these descendants of recent Biola presidents, their families’ histories give them a different grasp on Biola’s past and present. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES. 

It is no secret that Biola presidents are loved. For example, President Barry Corey can be seen on shirts, in pictures with camels and even in the occasional selfie. However, the reputation surrounding their positions can spread to those closest to them. This year, four students descended from current and former Biola presidents walk the streets of campus.  

“My life is not drastically different than other Biola students. I still eat at the Caf, share a mailbox and run out of flex points just as fast as the next guy. What’s different is the memories of walking by the Bell Tower and driving golf carts on McNally Field in elementary school,” said Kevin Botka, grandson of late Biola President Clyde Cook and senior cinema media arts major.

Such memories bring about reflection on how much the school has changed since his grandfather’s tenure.

“Biola has grown a lot in the last 7 years. New buildings have been built, new programs added, but Dr. Corey has done a good job of continuing the vision of the founders and leading Biola for a new generation,” Botka said.

These students said they were able to fully make the choice to attend Biola their very own, a choice for which they are grateful.

“Biola was never something that was forced upon me by my family,” Botka said. “Although I have a rich family history with this school, Biola primarily lined up with my career goals in studying film.”

MAKING THEIR OWN IMPACT

The children of President Corey feel the effect more directly as their father currently serves as the president. Originally, freshman business major Ella Corey did not want to attend Biola.

“I pretty much was against any idea of going to Biola since my dad first started working there,” Ella said.

In the process of deciding where to attend, Ella applied to nearly every other Christian school and eventually narrowed it down to a select few.

“After visiting both campuses, I gave into my brother's constant nagging to check out Biola. The other schools were okay, but their communities never really clicked for me. I went to Biola to meet with some professors, but I also talked to some students too…I guess then I realized that's what I wanted. I always knew I would like Biola, but I wanted to be stubborn and go to a school I wanted to go to. I just never thought Biola would actually be that school,” Ella said. “All in all, I'm glad I chose Biola but I'm also glad that it was my choice.”

Similarly, President Corey’s son, senior humanities major Anders Corey, has found his own place at Biola.

“I have been able to form my own niche in this community and find my friends who really do value me for me. Biola is filled with such genuine people that this has not been difficult, everyone truly cares about you for you, no matter who you're related to or who you are. That has made my experience that much more amazing,” said Anders, the Associated Students vice president of marketing and communications.

Former President J. Richard Chase’s grandson, Matt Chase, does not feel as affected by his grandfather. This may be because most current Biolans never worked under President J. Richard Chase. However, Chase still experiences some pros and cons.

“I’ve gotten a lot of emails from faculty still in the area or current faculty wanting to mentor me. Some of them know who I am and want me to stop by their office,” Chase said. “A lot of people think it’s a big deal, but I don’t think it’s as big of a deal.”

For these students, their families’ histories give them a different grasp on Biola’s past and present.

“I have an interesting perspective having been familiar with Biola for so long. I have seen the layers of history that some other students take for granted,” said Botka.