Dorothy English Hall houses upgraded speech clinic

The communication disorders department relocates to Dorothy English Hall in order to further expand their speech clinic.

Caution tape and orange cones surround what will soon be a new audiological suite in the Dorothy English Hall. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Torie Hamilton, Writer

The communication disorders department expands after it receives a newly refurbished home in Dorothy English Hall. The remodeled building, which completed construction on Sept. 4, stands as the precursor to a growing program and holds several new features, including an improved speech clinic.

SPEECH CLINIC UPGRADED

The primary goal in relocating the department to Dorothy English Hall is the expansion of the speech clinic, said Brian Phillips, senior director of facilities management. As the major and the community’s awareness of the clinic grow, the importance of a unified communication disorders building grows as well.

Rood 58 used to house the speech clinic but the building did not sufficiently work for the services provided. Outdated and thin walls made it possible to hear through them, therefore compromising the privacy of the clients, said clinic director Yvana Hernandez.

Currently serving 34 onsite clients, the new clinic includes updated rooms, a waiting room and a new audio and visual system. This system will allow supervisors to more accurately assess students’ interactions with clients and will also allow students to view and critique themselves, according to Hernandez.

The clinic’s reputation has grown significantly in the community due to low fees, including a $50 assessment fee followed by $15 per session, as well as notable service provided by undergraduates, said Hernandez.

“We get people referred here from school district regional center and even adult facilities. These are people who have their license and they know what speech pathology really is about, and they still refer to our clinic where we’re serving our clients with undergrads,” Hernandez said. “So to me, that says a lot that we have such a good reputation in the community.”

Considering the referrals from outside professionals, students also recognize the high-standing of the speech clinic within the community.

“It’s just something that I’m really looking forward to and I’m really excited because it’s not like any other school has their own clinic,” said Christine Truong, sophomore communication disorders major.

MOVING FORWARD

In addition to the improvement of the speech clinic, the relocation meets the need for a communication disorders graduate program that will launch fall 2016, said Phillips.

The refurbished building includes five therapy rooms for the clinic, two new faculty offices, an expanded resource room, a computer lab adjacent to the resource room and a classroom tailored to the major with an observation window. The final cost of the construction totaled $424,000.

Students look forward to the prospect of a graduate level program being introduced to Biola. With the shortage of such programs in California, this provides an opportunity for students to take their bachelor’s degree a step further.

“I definitely think that it’s going to be a major play up because there are not a lot of grad school programs in California, and I know that they’re working towards that and so seeing them prepare and get everything going, I’m really excited,” said Kerry Paxton, senior communication disorders major.