AS Senate Rundown: April 17, 2014

AS Senate rundown highlights McNally Graduation, the Biola film premiere, and Bob Goff lecture.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

Before Associated Students paused for Easter break, the senate meeting consisted of a proposal regarding a relocation of the spring commencement ceremony, and voting on seven other proposals.

Proposals

AS president Evan Tan proposed for $15,000 to relocate this semester’s commencement ceremony from Metzger Lawn to McNally field. The proposed amount will cover the extra set up costs that are necessary for the expanded space. Moving the ceremony will cost a total of $25,000, which will be split with University Communications and Marketing.

Next, music and arts coordinator Camryn Hudson proposed for a staff member to be moved from the Social Events department to the Music and Arts department. Since Mock Rock will be moved from the Social Events branch to the Music and Arts branch next year, an extra staff member will help with the extra work, Hudson said.

Mark Nesbitt, religious lectures coordinator, proposed for more funds for the Bob Goff lecture on May 1. The $2,340 will cover extra facility costs, ice cream for a social event afterwards and 50 copies of “Love Does” to sell after the lecture.

Voting

In a same-day vote, the senate unanimously voted to pass Evan Tan’s proposal to relocate the commencement ceremony to McNally field.

Also in a same-day vote, Camryn Hudson’s proposal for an extra staff member in the Music and Arts department was passed.

For the third same-day vote of the day, the senate partially passed Mark Nesbitt’s proposal for extra funds for the Bob Goff lecture. The passed partial amount of $2,193 will still cover the facility costs, but only 30 “Love Does” books rather than 50.

Next, the senate voted to pass Kyle Kinney’s proposal from the April 10 senate meeting for an intramurals online management system in the full amount of $2,050.

Senior film major JJ Carroll’s proposal for funding the premiere of the Biola film, “Kyle and Captain Courage,” was partially passed in the amount $1,250, eliminating the cost of popcorn and snacks.

The senate also passed Hope North senator Elizabeth Britton and junior accounting major Kevin Vandekamp’s proposal for a lower campus block party in the full amount of $2,800.

Next, the senate passed senior communication disorders and psychology major Ika Sani’s proposal for a cultural awareness event hosted by the International Students Association in the amount of $1,200.

The Constitution committee’s proposal for amendments to the constitution and bylaws was passed in full verbiage unanimously by the senate.

However, the senate denied diversity liaison Jackeline Arias’ proposal for rewording the diversity liaison job description in the bylaws.