One Love Tour makes stop at Biola en route to May conference

“March to Mayday Tour” visited Biola through its journey to colleges and universities across California.

Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Steve Day, Writer

Approximately 100 students filled the Caf banquet room on Monday, April 7 for a night of worship and information for the One Love “March to Mayday Tour.” This stop was just the eighth of 20 that the “March to Mayday” tour is making from March 19 to April 25, before finishing with a large conference in Los Angeles in May.

Sophomore Mailey Augustine attended and was excited about One Love’s college ministry.

“I loved hearing the vision and heart of One Love, touring all over California to different colleges and universities to spread the love of Jesus over each campus, and worshipping together with a desire to see his kingdom come,” Augustine said.

The tour is being led by One Love, a group of young adults who are passionate about seeing change across universities all over California.

Kayla White, who is part of the tour, explained why they are on this mission.

“We felt like God said there needs to be a love revolution on campuses … by seeing the one, and seeing each other, and just loving with radical love,” White said.

TOUR VISITS PRIVATE AND STATE SCHOOLS

Sammy Rodriguez, who has spoken two or three times already throughout the tour, spoke about the group’s mission and preached a message of love. On other nights, other members of the group have spoken.

“We just seek the Lord God with who’s supposed to speak [each night] and a couple of us speak so it’s been really fun,” Rodriguez said.

The tour has already made visits to five universities and a couple of churches in northern California. Rodriguez said he was elated by the response they have received from over 2,500 college students.

“At Cal Berkeley, we saw over 40 people get saved and then at University of the Pacific we saw over 25 get saved … [the reception] has been amazing — so fun to see,” Rodriguez said.

ONE BIG CONFERENCE

The tour culminates in a three day conference from May 1-3. On these dates, One Love Conference will take over the Glory Church of Jesus Christ near University of Southern California’s campus for a free weekend of worship, speakers and cultural integration, according to the conference website.

The focus of the collaborative weekend is to bring together groups of Christians from all over California to celebrate Jesus and his outlandish love with one another, according to the conference’s website.

“We want to unite together,” White said.

The conference features keynote speakers Francis Chan, Banning Liebscher, Dave Gibbons, Brian Brennt and Andy Byrd. It also includes worship sets from Michael Ketterer and United Pursuit Band, Lindy Conant, The Welcome Party and Isla Vista Worship.

Rodriguez said he cannot wait for the One Love Conference.

“It really is about collaboration, unity and love — could it be that love is the message that unlocks the lost, as well as the believers, to come together and move forward to see awakening and revival in America?” Rodriguez said.

The event includes four sessions, one at 7 p.m. each night and a matinee session on Saturday, May 2 at 2 p.m., with check-in for each session occurring one hour prior. Free tickets can be obtained in advance through Eventbrite or One Love’s website.