AS Senate Rundown: April 8, 2014

Gospel choir and constitutional amendments were among this week’s proposals.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

This week’s Associated Students senate meeting consisted of three proposals and two same-day votes.

Proposals

The first proposal of the day was from the commuter senators, Julie Ploehn, Zurich Lewis and Whitney Fredenburg, for a pizza dinner before the Bob Goff lecture on May 1. The three senators will use their combined discretionary fund of $150 and are also requesting $550, which will cover the cost of 50 Costco pizzas.

Next, religious lectures coordinator Mark Nesbitt proposed for a reallocation of funds from the REDTalk event on April 4 to the Bob Goff: Love & Culture event on May 1. REDtalk replaced a more expensive event that was cancelled so there was money left over, Nesbitt said. The reallocated funds of $3,000 will go toward paying for a gospel choir worship team, the West Angeles Cathedral Singers, to perform at the Bob Goff lecture. The West Angeles Cathedral Singers are from the West Angeles Church of God in Christ in Los Angeles.

Lastly, AS president Evan Tan proposed for amendments to the AS constitution and bylaws. The proposed constitutional amendments deal with senate voting procedures, the addition of an article for the administrative services branch, referendum petitions for legislation passed by the senate and voting recalls on AS offices. Other proposed amendments deal with constitutional ratifications and amendments.

The proposed bylaw amendments deal with human resources policies such as hiring procedures and employee conduct, the addition of a payroll committee to determine hours and pay rates of AS employees, budget policies, clarification of the purpose of AS departments and the addition of the Outdoor Excursions department.

Voting

In a same-day vote, the senate unanimously voted to pass the proposal from the commuter senators for a pizza dinner on May 1.

Also in a same-day vote, the senate passed Mark’s Nesbitt’s proposal to reallocate $3,000 from the REDTalk event budget to pay for a gospel choir worship team to perform at the Bob Goff lecture on May 1.

Voting on all proposals concerning constitutional amendments and bylaws will occur at next week’s senate meeting.