SMU hires new co-directors for next year’s Missions Conference

Alex Middleton and Amber White were chosen to be the two new co-directors for next year’s conference.

Zion_Studios

A hand is raised in worship led by Echo 2014’s worship band, Antioch Live, during the first session of the conference. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

Christina Bryson, Writer

Not long after the dust from Missions Conference settled, the Student Missionary Union chose two new co-directors for next year’s conference. Newly-elected SMU president Cody Storm made the call on Wednesday night to inform junior biblical studies major Alex Middleton and sophomore communication studies major Amber White that they had been elected as the Missions Conference co-directors for next year.

STORM HIRES NEW CO-DIRECTORS 

After an arduous week-long process of interviewing, Storm eventually made the decision based on which two people would work well together as a team.

“One of the biggest things I was looking for when I was hiring was creating a good team,” Storm said. “They are going to have to work together for a whole year, so I was looking for people who can do life well together … that can mesh well and bring together a solid vision.”

The applications for next year’s directors were due the day after Missions Conference ended in order to begin the training process early.

“Starting the process early is good for team building for the two new directors so we can get them as much information and training ahead of time,” Storm said. “That way by the time the conference is here they won’t be scrambling around but they will know what they are doing.”

Middleton transferred to Biola in the fall. She was on staff for Missions Conference this last year and has also been a volunteer for Passion Conferences

“When I toured Biola it was during Missions Conference,” Middleton said. “I came on campus and thought this place is special and I felt this position would be a good fit for me.”

According to Middleton, she is looking forward to continuing the work that was done at this year’s conference.

“I loved how [the] conference shifted people’s perspective on the great commission,” Middleton said. “Pursuing God is not just about short term trips, but also about local discipleship.”

White served on staff two years ago and was the sessions coordinator this year.

“I love Missions Conference and how it gives students an opportunity to fall in love with Jesus again,” White said.

According to Storm, Middleton and White had similar visions for what they wanted to see happen at next year’s conference.

“These next couple months are going to be neat, because we already have similar ideas without even talking about it yet,” Middleton said.

SIMILAR VISION FOR NEXT YEAR'S CONFERENCE

Both White and Middleton are hoping to inspire a passion for the gospel and each student’s unique part in the great commission.

“Each person at Biola is so different and we want people coming away loving Jesus more,” Middleton said. “Whether it’s loving someone across the street at Splash! or going overseas to Sri Lanka.”

Although Middleton and White have not begun crafting a specific theme yet, they are looking forward to beginning that process together over the summer.

“Regardless of our theme, if someone walks away from Missions Conference loving Jesus more, our goal is accomplished,” White said.

White and Middleton began training last Monday with former Missions Conference co-directors Cody Nord and Charlie Meo. They will also be hiring one Missions Conference assistant together next week.