Biola barber gives cuts on campus

Biola barber Kerry Paxton is the latest dorm room entrepreneur.

Junior communication disorders major Kerry Paxton, better known as the Biola Barber, has gained popularity since his transfer to Biola last year. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Grace Hansen, Writer

On a small campus like Biola, news travels quickly — especially good news. News of junior communication disorders major Kerry Paxton’s great haircuts, for example, has spread like wildfire. His newfound business is based on referrals and has attracted attention since his first cut on campus.

Quality cuts

Upon transferring to Biola last fall, Paxton noticed the quality of hair cuts around campus was in need of his expertise.

“I used to work in a barber shop, so I can spot a bad hair cut from a mile away,” Paxton said.

Early in the semester he brought his clippers and was cutting a friend’s hair in the dorms with the door open. According to Paxton, students walking by slowed to see what was going on, and before he knew it he was exchanging numbers and gaining clientele. Students who had their hair cut by Paxton referred their friends and they referred others, and now Paxton said he has a steadily growing business on his hands.

One of the big reasons Paxton enjoys cutting hair so much is that it offers a chance for him to relax and socialize with all kinds of different people.

“A lot of times cuts last an hour because we end up talking most of the time — talking about life, talking about relationships, talking about sports, about funny things that happen … Even though you’re in your dorm, it turns into a barber shop real quick,” Paxton said.

Specializing in male haircuts, Paxton said he provides guys with a good, clean barber cut instead of a salon cut which is more geared for flashy hair styles. Biola students get a deal, he explained. His services are $15 for a cut and $5 for a facial hair trim, and it was $25 for a cut at his shop.

In addition, Paxton jokingly stated that every time he has given someone a haircut they have coincidentally either gotten a girlfriend or gotten engaged.

“I don’t know if it’s [because of] Biola or my hair cuts, but I’m leaning on my hair cuts,” Paxton said.

Kerry Paxton enjoys cutting hair because it offers a chance for him to relax and socialize with all kinds of different people. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Locks of feedback

Another communication disorders major, junior Charles Bryant, is one of Paxton’s loyal clients. He heard about Paxton’s haircuts last fall when they were in the same neurology class. He said that because there are not many males in their major, the two instantly bonded.

“I saw him in class and he saw my hair, and he was like ‘you need a cut,’ and he gave me a card and then he gave me a haircut a few weeks later,” Bryant stated.

According to Bryant, trusting Paxton with his hair was not hard because of Paxton’s previous barber shop experience. Bryant was quick to recommend Paxton to others because of his quality and professionalism.

“It’s a good price, I don’t have to leave school to get my hair cut and it was very professional and very well done,” Bryant said.

Bryant stated he will continue to return to Paxton for haircuts until he graduates, and even after if they live nearby each other.

According to Paxton, professors and Resident Directors have shown interest in Paxton’s growing business because they have heard that he shapes beards and does straight razor shaves, usually called cut-throat shaves, as well as regular cuts.

Dreaming of DBC

A typical question among barbers is if you could cut anyone’s hair, who’s would it be? The usual answer according to Paxton is “the President,” and since cutting Obama’s hair is not likely to happen, Paxton is hoping to cut the hair of Biola’s president.

He may get his chance over spring break since President Barry Corey will be traveling to Korea with Paxton and other Biola students.

“I know eventually, when we’re there long enough, he’s going to need a trim, and I’m bringing my clippers to Korea … I’ll give him a straight razor shave and his normal haircut,” Paxton said.