New DVD releases make for the perfect stocking-stuffers

Trey Soto lists his favorite movie releases of the year that would make great Christmas gifts.

www.nerdist.com

www.nerdist.com

Trey Soto, Writer

This past year has been full of great movie releases, most of which are making their way to DVD just in time for Christmas. If you’re looking for a surefire gift that’ll warm the heart of that special someone or are looking for one more thing to add to your wishlist, here are some new releases that will not disappoint:

“Man of Steel”

Director Zach Snyder’s reboot of Superman sets the entire film back to its origins, from his birth to becoming known as The Man of Steel as he takes on General Zod, an invader from his home planet. With this new film comes special features on the making of Superman’s home planet Krypton, digital graphics, and the new Superman costume design. If you are looking for a newer version of your favorite superhero along with new graphics, plot, and actors, then pick up this film while it is still on sale for the holidays.

“The Wolverine”

Featuring the hero known for being an immortal with a dark past, “The Wolverine” has recently come out on DVD and Blu-ray, including the uncut and unrated director's version. “The Wolverine,” starring none other than Hugh Jackman, takes place after the film “X-Men: The Last Stand” when Logan seeks the path to live a life of “peace” and “nonviolence.” But after paying respects to a long lost friend, he’s persuaded to come out of retirement. This is a great pick for lovers of action-packed thrillers.

“Prisoners”

“Prisoners” stars Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in this movie thriller mystery that will leave you speechless. After of the kidnapping of two girls in a small-town neighborhood, police Detective Loki (Gyllenhaal) does everything he can to track down the kidnapper meanwhile Keller Dover (Jackman), father of one of the girls, takes the law into his hands after kidnapping one of the known suspects. Is this your movie type? Then look out for “Prisoners” on shelves this Dec. 17th.

“Monsters University”

As Disney-Pixar’s most recent movie release, “Monsters University” is the prequel story of Mike and Sully, who met in their college years before working for Monsters Inc. Full of laughs and fun moments, this may just bring back memories when you first entered college as a freshman. With the movie currently on DVD and Blu-ray, you should pick it up for your siblings and yourself. You can never go wrong with a Disney-Pixar film.

“Fast & Furious 6”

The sixth sequel of the Fast & Furious franchise comes to DVD Dec. 10 with more car races, chases and large explosions. Taking place after the events in Rio in “Fast Five,” Police officer Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) gives street racer Dominic (Vin Diesel) and ex-cop Brian (Paul Walker) a task to take down a team of brutal mercenaries, whose driving skills match their own. Dominic takes on the mission to, in return, gain full pardon from police records for him and his crew. Starring the recently and tragically deceased of Paul Walker, this film serves not only as an action-packed joy ride but an ode to the star who passed away too soon in his life.