Students unhappy with chapel reduction standard

Although the number of chapel reductions have remained consistent each semester, students feel reductions have been limited.

Job Ang

SCANNING IN: Students arrive at chapel on Wednesday morning, Sept. 28. Chapel Board announced on Monday that students who fail to physically attend at least 15 chapels per semester will be fined $375, with the opportunity to attend a one day retreat to reduce the fine. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

Students prepare to scan in for Wednesday morning chapel. While student development maintains that the number of students receiving reductions appears to be consistent over the last couple semesters, some students feel that Spiritual Development has become stricter about granting chapel reductions. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES [file photo]

The number of chapel reductions received by students remains consistent, although students say that reductions have become limited. An average of 10 to 12 percent of students are granted a reduction each semester, said Lisa Igram, associate dean of spiritual development. A student granted a reduction will receive, on average, five chapels and two conferences off the usual requirement, Igram said.

To decide whether or not a student will receive a reduction, Spiritual Development takes each individual’s situation into account and considers factors such as work schedules and family issues, Igram said. However, attending chapel is an essential part of a Biola student’s education and helps establish a habit of connecting with God and a community, Igram said.

Spiritual Development aims for consistency

As Spiritual Development considers each individual case, they strive to be consistent, Wyatt said. The responsibilities that a student may face are not new, Igram said.

“We have a general idea of the kinds of things that students are dealing with,” Igram said.

Chapel reductions are offered to assist in balancing those responsibilities.

“It’s an attempt to ease the burden because we know students are busy, and we know that situations come up that students can’t help,” Igram said.

Students perceive a stricter standard

While student development maintains that the number of students receiving reductions appears to be consistent over the last couple semesters, some students feel that Spiritual Development has become stricter about granting chapel reductions.

“It used to be super easy,” said Robin Park, junior journalism major.

Park requested a reduction to help her manage a full a course load and a job, among other responsibilities, but was denied any leniency on her chapel requirement.

Some feel that stricter standards regarding chapel reductions have been occurring over the course of time. Chapel leniency has been progressively diminishing over the last couple years, said Mary Frank, senior math major.

Students receiving a reduction also have a similar opinion.

“I told them I needed a lot more, but they only gave me five,” said Susanna Kim, sophomore psychology major. Kim was granted a reduction based on family emergencies and a job on top of a 16-unit course load. The reduction she was granted did not seem fair according to the amount she needed, Kim said.

The requirements to receive a reduction have not changed, and Spiritual Development is uncertain what would cause the current attitude of students, said Jonathan Wyatt, chapel accountability coordinator.