Critically acclaimed baritone to perform for concert series

Russian performer to come to Biola in early November.

Russian baritone Leonid Smetannikov will be performing at the Biola Conservatory on Nov. 2. In addition to his performance, he will be teaching a master class for a select number of vocal performance students. | Courtesy of wikimedia.org

Ashleigh Fox, Writer

Leonid Smetannikov, one of Russia’s leading lyric baritones, will be performing on Biola’s campus at a concert on Saturday, Nov. 2 at 7:30 p.m. in Crowell Hall. He will also be conducting a master class for five vocal performance students on Sunday afternoon that includes a critique of these students based on a piece they have prepared.

Olga Korolev, who identifies herself as a freshman vocal performance major even though she is a sophomore transfer by credits, shared her excitement and apprehension of participating in the master class.

“I’m a bit nervous because he was really good back in the day and is really famous in Russia. I’m a little bit intimidated but at the same time I am really excited to get this chance to work with such an amazing singer,” Korolev said.

This is not the first time Smetannikov has ventured into this part of the world. The Biola Conservatory has a long-standing relationship with him through pianist Lina Baranov, a Russian musician who tours with Smetannikov in Europe and the U.S. Her connection to Los Angeles comes from her time in residence at the Festival Bahnhof Rolandseck in Bonn, Germany. She spent time there with Trio West — her other tour group — and other LA Philharmonic musicians.

A WORLD-RENOWNED MUSICIAN

Sue Kimber, the office manager of the Biola Conservatory of Music, provided insight for Smetannikov’s visit, as well as the concert series in general.

Kimber noted the prestige of having someone like Smetannikov on campus.

“If you’re not in the discipline — not a vocal performance person — you might have never heard the name. But if you’re in that world, you know that name,” Kimber said.

Smetannikov began his musical education at the Saratov State Conservatoire in 1971. He continued to become a prize winner in 1973 at World Youth and Students Festival in Berlin and again in 1982 in the sixth National Glinka Vocal Competition in Russia, according to operabalet.com. More recently, he was named laureate of the All-Russian Concours of Vocalists, Russia’s highest award for singers. His most famous performances, Tchaikovsky’s "Eugene Onegin," "Queen of Spades" and "Pique Dame," have all received critical acclaim, as stated on the Biola Conservatory website.

AN AFFORDABLE CONCERT LONG IN THE MAKING

Smetannikov was unavailable for an interview due to his busy tour schedule. Having booked Smetannikov a year in advance, Kimber articulated the prestige of having such a talented performer in Biola’s ranks.

“What I’m intrigued by is how often we have people on this campus, performing in this hall, and I don’t think students overall know the level of musicianship and professionalism that we have available in concert here at a fraction of the price that you would pay if you were to go to Disney Concert Hall or something like that,” Kimber said.

The Conservatory of Music strives to provide a variety of musical performances throughout the year, from guest artists like Smetannikov to the “random acts of culture” that students provide as a way to share music outside of  Crowell.

The same talent that provides content for the concert series will be fully encompassed in the annual Christmas Concert on Dec. 13 this year. In addition to the talent from Biola Conservatory students that is traditionally displayed during this special event, appearances from the Southern California Children’s Chorus, as well as dancing and scripture reading, will take place.

“It will be more of a whole experience rather than just musical,” Kimber said.