AS Senate Rundown: Oct. 24, 2013

Students present many ideas before the Senate on the second open proposal day of the year.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

The senate unanimously voted in sophomore psychology major Brianna Wong as the new Sigma senator. Wong began her senatorial position immediately.

This was the second open proposal day of the year.

Movie Night

James Zapata, senior human biology major, proposed for a “Guys Night/Girls Night” event for the total of $100. The movie night, hosted on separate floors in South Horton, would feature movies geared toward the male or female audience. A discussion about manhood and womanhood would follow the movie. The funding would cover the cost of snacks and beverages.

Film proposals

Erika Pontius, senior film major, returned to propose her film, “Siber.” In this second proposal she decreased her requested funding and provided a clearer budget for the money. The total request amount is $2,737.42-$3,237.42.

Jackie Sarmiento, senior film major, requested $2,000 for the Biola film “Heritage.” The funds would be used to put on a premiere on campus.

Graduate school event

Caitlin David, junior English major, requested funding for an informational graduate school admissions event hosted by the Executive Planning Committee, a student initiative of the English department. She requested $300 to fund food for the event and travel reimbursement for the speakers.

Pep rallies

Hart senator Tyler Hormel proposed that each senator be given $40 to host pep rallies at each dorm before the men’s and women’s opening basketball games. The total amount would be $600.

Star Wars charity event

Raymond Mendiola, senior philosophy major, proposed funding for a fundraiser hosted by the Star Wars Club, the Philosophy Club and Biola Brown Bag Ministry. Mendiola is the club president of the two clubs and a member of the Brown Bag ministry. He requested $500, which would pay for the rental of the Collegium, food, advertising and other supplies. The fundraiser would bring awareness of homelessness to students and raise money to purchase 100 sleeping bags for the homeless.

Whittier College ministry

Jonathan Joyce, junior psychology major, requested funding for advertising opportunities to partner with the Christian Poets club at Whittier College. The total proposed amount of $50 would cover the cost of laminated posters. The ministry allows for Biola students to reach out to students in the Christian club at Whittier College and encourage them as fellow believers.

“We should be able to spread the gospel locally,” Joyce said.

S’More to Love

Tristan Engh, junior human biology major, and Nolan Scott, senior intercultural studies major, proposed funding for an event called “S’More to Love” that is part of “Hart Loves Week.” The $807 requested would cover the cost of s’mores supplies and buttons for the event. The event would be open to the entire campus and aims to build community.

Deck the Haven

Hart resident advisor Brandon Wetmore proposed $3,600 for the annual event "Deck the Haven," hosted by a floor in Hart. The event has occurred for over 20 years and attracts students, alumni and members of the community.

“It’s the pride and joy of the guys on Haven,” Wetmore said.

The funding would cover decorating and advertising supplies.

All voting will occur at next week’s meeting.