Biola 5K: A run for adventure

Adventure Club president hopes to raise funds for her club through the Biola 5K run.

Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Chelsea Wiersma, Writer

Senior Becky Todd, who also serves as the Adventure Club president, will be running in the Biola 5K with her club members and East coast family to raise money for the club. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

When senior communication studies major Becky Todd was recruited with a full-ride volleyball scholarship to the University of Massachusetts, she fully anticipated spending her next four years there. 

Now in her last year at Biola, the Adventure Club president hopes to raise money for the club by partaking in the Biola 5K alongside her fellow club and family members — who will fly in from her hometown in Shrewsbury, Mass. to participate.

The transcontinental transfer

Todd found she was unhappy with the Massachusetts commuter school and thus transferred to Biola in the fall of 2011. In the process she discovered that her desire for community outweighed her love for volleyball.

In her first semester, two of her friends proposed the idea of creating an adventure club. Todd had played sports her entire life and has a fairly active family that enjoys activities like camping, hiking and fishing.

“You name a sport, I’ve probably done it,” Todd said.

However, she had never been a part of any seriously adventurous activities. Intrigued by the idea, Todd agreed to help her friends start it. Their first meeting’s turnout was successful, as 300 prospective members ended up attending. Now as one of the biggest clubs on campus, with an average of 40 people per meeting, the club is presently in its fifth semester.

President of adventure

The two students that helped her start the club have since graduated and Todd has assumed the role as the club’s leader. She said she is lucky to have the help of four officers — sophomore Tom Kalmikob, and juniors John Hallman, Lyndsey Burk and Hannah Lee.

“I really couldn’t do it without them,” Todd said. “It’s a team effort.”

Lee, a junior intercultural studies major and Adventure Club officer, said that Becky is the reason she joined Adventure Club in the first place.

“She is very assertive and delegates well. Becky is very passionate about Adventure Club and makes an effort to get more people involved,” Lee said.

She said that Todd doesn’t beg people to join, but that her excitement alone interests them.

Growing up in the great outdoors

Todd’s family brought her up camping in New Hampshire. Her 19-year-old brother Matthew is majoring in forestry and wildlife ecology at the University of Maine and has also carried his love for the outdoors from his childhood with him. Embracing the outdoors is truly a family affair, as her grandparents camp with them as well.

While she is very close with her mom, dad and younger brother, Todd voiced her excitement to see and share the Adventure Club’s activities with them.

“It’s a way for us to bond on a whole new level, now that I have this under my belt,” Todd said.

Todd also said that she is excited for them to meet the rest of her Adventure Club “family” and for them to experience the community that Biola offers both its students and families.

A run to remember

Since Todd plans to stay in the Los Angeles area to focus on getting a job with the American Cancer society or another organization in the non-profit arena, she will not be returning home after graduation. Unsure of how often she will see her family over the next couple of years, Todd looks forward to the family’s 3,000 mile trip out.

“After a two week [trip] over Christmas, I literally have no idea when I will see them again,” Todd said. “They may come for graduation, but it is up in the air — and after that there are no plans.”

She looks forward to running alongside them for the first time in one of the club’s last events.

“Since it’s my last year in Adventure Club, I am really trying to go big,” Todd stated. “I’m pumped, it’s going to be a blast.”