New shopping center progressing in La Mirada

A Walmart is set to open this fall in the new Crossroads Shopping Center.

Beth Crabtree/THE CHIMES

Chelsea Wiersma, Writer

A new Walmart Neighborhood Market will be built next to Walgreens this fall. | Beth Crabtree/THE CHIMES

A new Walgreens has opened up on the corner of Imperial Highway and La Mirada Boulevard, with plans for a Walmart Neighborhood Market to follow this fall, according to the La Mirada city hall website.

The pharmacy, which opened in June, and the 35,000-square foot Walmart Neighborhood Market are situated in the Crossroads Shopping Center, a new retail plaza currently being developed in La Mirada.

The expansion comes just after the city of La Mirada was nominated for the sixth year running as the most business-friendly small town, awarded by the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation.

According to Vaniah De Rojas, the administrative analyst for La Mirada, the city is making many efforts to attract more businesses. Two of these efforts are low costs and low tax rates. The mayor of La Mirada and other city officials are taking great strides to reach out to the businesses through programs such as business recognition, according to De Rojas.

“The city also meets with businesses monthly to discuss issues, resolve barriers to growth, identify expansion opportunities and recognize accomplishments,” Rojas said.

Sam Meas, manager of the recently opened Walgreens, has been the manager of Walgreens stores in three other cities. He said that city dignitaries came to the store’s grand opening and were very welcoming. Meas also stated that the community is very respectful.

“It’s just a very all-around positive place to be in,” Meas said.

The store’s proximity to Biola is one of its benefits, according to Amber Peters, a junior psychology major.

“I like the convenience,” Peters said. “Since I don’t have a job right now, paying for gas isn’t as easy as it used to be. It’s nice to be able to go somewhere so close to campus.”

Other students echoed Peters’ sentiment.

“I like having a shopping center so close to campus because I don’t have a car so it is somewhere closer that I can ride my bike to,” said Ian Ralph, a senior humanities major.

The Walmart is set to open this fall.