APU transgender professor sparks Biola conversations

APU students and Biola Queer Underground support former transgender theology professor Adam Ackley.

Previously known as Heather Clements, transgender professor Heath Adam Ackley relays the news of his new identity to students in class at the beginning of the fall semester. | Courtesy of Annie Z. Yu of The Clause

Katie Nelson, Writer

After Azusa Pacific University theology professor Adam Ackley’s dismissal last week due to his status as a transgender man, LGBTQ allies from APU have taken steps to ensure transgender students are protected on campus.

STUDENTS SHOW SUPPORT FOR PROFESSOR

Several APU alumni joined ranks in the university’s west campus to host a speak-out on Ackley’s — born Heather Clements — behalf Tuesday night, according to student Adrianne Camacho. Camacho is involved with APU Haven, the university’s queer-straight alliance, and last December founded Azusa Haven, a support group for LGBTQ people in Azusa and surrounding cities.

“They all gathered, and some people shared their stories about their time here at APU, some people sang songs, other people shared different kinds of poetry,” Camacho said. “It was pretty much like spoken word, but standing up against APU and their policies.”

APU Haven did a self-described “tee shirt protest” outside APU’s Oct. 2 morning chapel, according to Camacho. The protest involved students and alumni donning tee shirts emblazoned with the slogan “#WeStandWithAdam” and the transgender flag.

The goal of the demonstration was to show solidarity with Ackley in spite of his dismissal, Camacho said. However, there were some who were resistant.

“Some of the student body were very verbal about how they didn’t agree with it, and [said] ‘God made you the way he wants you to be’ kinds of things. But we had other people who were very supportive,” Camacho said.

APU HAVEN AND BQU UNITE

APU Haven also created a change.org petition to “create safety for transgender students and faculty.” The online petition has been signed by 2,467 people as of press time and has been reposted by GLAAD — formerly known as the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation — and the Biola Queer Underground.

Natasha Magness, former Biola student and co-founder of BQU, said she first learned about Ackley’s situation through APU Haven’s Facebook posts and the online petition.

“On a personal note, we were really saddened by how APU treated Adam, and then on a public note, we posted on our Facebook a petition to make APU a safer space for trans students and faculty,” she said.

Magness noted that the petition calls for APU to include transgender people in its non-discrimination policy. Although the petition does not directly address Ackley’s situation, Magness said she and the BQU signed the petition in honor of the professor.

“We don’t believe anyone should be fired or expelled from any school for coming out as transgender,” she said. “I believe APU should have created a space for him to continue teaching. He was a great example to many students and, for all I know, a great theology professor.”

Biola’s own administration continues to work on defining its official position on transgender identity, according dean of students Danny Paschall in a previous Chimes article. Magness said she hopes the policy will be broad enough to encompass students who have made similar decisions to Ackley's.

“We hope that Biola will make provisions to protect the trans community that already exists at Biola, so that the trans community will no longer have to fear rejection or expulsion if they decide to come out,” she said.