Falling in love with fashion

Get updated on the latest fall fashion trends from Biola students.

Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

Kalli Thommen, Writer

Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

As fall descends upon Biola’s campus, fall fashion will inevitably see popular trends making their way into student closets.

STUDENTS PREDICT FALL TRENDS

Sophomore business major and self-proclaimed trend forecaster, Matt Porter, believes that one trend students will find on campus this semester is black-and-white color schemes.

“This fall, the hottest thing is black-and-white. If you walk into Nordstrom or H&M or Forever 21 they have black-and-white front and center,” Porter said.

Porter said that students can spot the trends before the crowds, if they look in the right places.

“You can pick up on what the trends are by watching what people are wearing. It starts out very slowly and then when Nordstrom or Forever 21 picks up on it, that’s when it explodes. That’s when it actually becomes the trend,” Porter said. “It’s really hard to catch it, but you can before the big stores pick up on it.”

FUN WAYS TO CREATE A UNIQUE WARDROBE 

One thing Porter mentioned was that he will not leave his dorm room without is a good cardigan.

“You will see me with cardigans everyday. It can be fairly warm out, and you can still be wearing a cardigan —  it’s universal. It’s cold in the morning and you put on a cardigan, and when it’s hotter during the day, you can pull the sleeves up a little bit,” Porter said.

Porter’s favorite way to add interest to any outfit can be revealed by a lift of the pant leg.

“Wear a fun pair of socks. It changes everything. Cuff your pants and wear some fun socks,” Porter said. “Stripes or argyle never hurt anyone. It just adds a little fun to it.”

Sophomore journalism major Daryn Daniels also scours her favorite shops on the lookout for any trends she feels push the boundaries of conventional fashion.

During middle school, Daniels said she used to daily don the simple sweatshirt and tennis shoe combination as a means of blending in with her classmates. Since then, she explained, she has slowly worked her way up to wearing clothes that express her personality.

“I felt like my fashion on the outside wasn’t representing who I was on the inside like it does now,”

Daniels said. “Now I try to buy things that push me a little bit out of my comfort zone and that I feel like are fun and me.”

STUDENT CREATES FASHION BLOG

In order to share her love of fashion with others, Daniels began her own fashion blog this summer called She Cleans Up Nice. Daniels explained that her passion for fashion grew out of her Portland background.

“I’m from Portland, so fashion is huge there. It’s a big thing. As I grew older, I fell more in love with my city and with that came the passion for fashion and style,” Daniels said.

Daniels advised any future trend setters to start with a good pair of jeans.

“Get a good pair of high-waisted, dark wash skinny jeans. You can wear them with a pair of Converse shoes and a white tee shirt, or you can wear them with a sweater and boots, whatever. If you’re going to buy something, start there,” Daniels said.

When it comes to tops, Daniels said her Portland influence has inspired her love for button up shirts.

“I like my buttons all the way up and a big necklace instead of a collar. I think that’s really fun for fall,” Daniels said.

Daniels' perspective on the daily routine of picking an outfit has shifted since her bland sweatshirt-and-sneakers days.

“It’s a really fun thing for me. Getting dressed is really fun, and that’s how it should be,” Daniels said.

L.A. WEATHER WILL DETERMINE TRENDS

Senior communications major and fashionista Courtney Gammariello described her style as fun, unique and independent of mainstream trends.

“I would say I’m a person that likes things that look good on me rather than things that go with a certain trend,” Gammariello said.

One fall trend she is on board with, however, is a popular knitted neck accessory.

“I think the infinity scarves will be super big again this year. I know they were ‘in’ last year but I think infinity scarves and different patterns of infinity scarves will be in again,” Gammariello said.

Gammariello believes that the L.A. weather will help keep infinity scarves trendy.

“The weather here has to do with what the fashion is. We don’t get to dress in pea coats because it’s not cold. I think scarves are our way to still be acclimated to the weather but at the same time be part of fashion,” Gammariello said.

Whatever trend students choose to wear this fall, Porter emphasized the importance of using fashion as a means to express oneself.

“Fashion is a really easy way to express who you are and it’s a way for everyone to see who you are at a very surface level,” Porter said. “They look at your clothes and that tells a little bit of who you are.”