AS music and arts coordinator increases popularity of the Eddy

The Eddy on Thursday night proved to be a success thanks to the efforts of Lauren Bailey.

Seniors Lauren Bailey performs a cover of “Slow Dance” by John Legend at the Eddy on February 14. Bailey has been an essential part in making the Eddy a more popular musical venue on campus. | Heather Leith/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Jackie Grade, Writer

At 7 p.m. on May 9, students gathered outside and around the Fireplace Pavillion in anticipation of the Eddy’s local musical artists, Jake McMullen, Wrabel, Mariah McManus and James David. Much to their surprise, the rain started to fall and facilities had to rush the stage and all its components into the Student Union Building. The show went on inside as students gathered around the SUB’s available chairs and floor space.

UNEXPECTED RAIN DIDN'T HINDER SUCCESS

Although the rain was unexpected, it did not hinder the night’s success, said Lauren Bailey, a senior journalism major who took on the new position of AS music and arts coordinator this year. Since having been elected by AS for her position as coordinator, Bailey has reestablished the recognition and increased the popularity of the Eddy.

“When I was a freshman, the Eddys were something I was drawn to because I love music. But no one could ever give me a solid answer of what the Eddy was,” Bailey stated.

EXCITED FOR NEXT YEAR

Camryn Hudson, a sophomore journalism major with an emphasis in public relations and next year’s music and arts coordinator, expressed her excitement about the Eddy’s rise in popularity after the opening of the new coordinator position. She explained that events such as the Eddy used to fall under the job of the AS social board and tended to slip between the cracks.

“It was more of a side note. Now it is a focus point and we are able to get bigger artists for the students,” Hudson said.

Next year, Hudson plans to further Bailey’s progress by adding smaller events consisting of art and music. Bailey added that she hopes next year’s staff will expand the genres of artists and generate a buzz on campus and within the surrounding community.

“I have been very focused on booking artists that will not only please the Biola campus but will create a reason for the public to come onto campus,” Bailey stated. “It’s a really cool way to reach into the community and show what Biola is about.”

TALENTED LINEUP ON THURSDAY NIGHT

Starting off with an acoustic feel, Jake McMullen braved the stage with his guitar as his only company. His folksy voice reverberated off of the room’s walls as students continued to flock inside from the rain.

Next in the lineup and sporting his new blue blazer with the tag still proudly attached, Wrabel and his piano took the stage. His wide range of tone and variety in genres proved to be a huge hit with the audience and the cheering only increased as he continued through his song lineup. 

As the night progressed, Mariah McManus and her band and blew the audience away with her raspy yet powerful voice.

“I enjoyed Mariah’s cover of ‘Climax,’” Kristin Campolongo, a freshman and undecided major said . “It was awesome!”

Up-and-coming artist James David closed the night off. He quickened the pace and his music had the audience on their feet and dancing to his old school sound and soulful style.

“James David was super cool. You could dance,” freshman cinema media arts major Nicole Lawrence said.

Bailey made it her goal as coordinator this year to increase attendance beyond only the Biola music lovers and to raise awareness on the whole campus. She has focused on booking artists, like Mat Kearney who played at the Eddy last fall, that please the majority of the campus in hopes of bringing the Eddy onto student’s radars and back into their schedules.

“It has been so fun making these events my own. Because this is a brand new position, I have been learning as I go,” Bailey said.

Bailey explained that after searching what “eddy” meant on Wikipedia, she discovered it to be an obstacle obstructing different directional flows of rushing water. She then envisioned Thursday’s event to be a personified version of an “eddy,” whether the initial creators of the name intended the title to have that meaning or not.

“Like an eddy, we want the flow of students in the center of campus to be interrupted by this concert,” Bailey said.