Mock Rock lyrics conflict with Biola’s mission

John Reid argues that Mock Rock songs conflict with Biola’s call to “Think Biblically.”

Rachel Adams/THE CHIMES

John Reid, Writer

John Reid challenges the Biola community at large to think about the music choices they make during events such as Mock Rock. | Rachel Adams/THE CHIMES

Biola stands out among other Christian universities due to its high standard of academics and biblical truth. Something I have appreciated the most in my last few years has been the stress on integrating our faith in the world. Whether you are studying theology or business, Biola strives to train laborers for the harvest through spiritual direction. We have ministries which target the lost in our local communities and countries abroad in efforts to bring the truth of Christ to the world. I have been blessed to know students who are doing great things for the world by bringing freedom to the oppressed, healing to the broken and love to the hurt.

That said, I am concerned with the standards that have been set regarding one of Biola’s most prominent events: Mock Rock. I have been to three Mock Rocks during my time as a student and just as often as I have been impressed with the talent that the students have displayed, I have also been disappointed with the choice of lyrics that are used. With all of the planning, is it not simple to select music where you do not have to bleep out f— multiple times or use an artist who frequently sings about raping and murdering women?

These songs and these artists should have no place in the lives of Christ followers but especially at a Biola sponsored event, being that Biola serves to produce spiritual development in their students. Kanye West’s “Clique” lyrics, “Ain’t nobody f—in’ with my clique … ain’t nobody fresher than my motherf—in’ clique” were played by more than one group. Really, Biola? That’s okay? On the same stage that we sing praises to God every Sunday night we’re going to have someone mouth the words to these lyrics?

Biola recently adopted a slogan which describes our role in the world. “Think Biblically. About Everything.” The Scriptures remind us what it means to seek purity and to refrain from sin according to Ephesians 5:1-4: “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.”

I hold the hierarchy of Biola accountable for allowing this to continue. Preventative measures should be implemented to avoid this type of behavior and students who are found in violation should be held accountable as well.

Some have argued that this music is our culture and therefore we should be immersed in it to better reach the lost. Yes, we should be involved in our cultures and we should strive to be all things to all people. However, finding entertainment with things that break the Father’s heart is clearly in conflict with our role to be in the world but not of the world. It is not necessary for me to listen to Eminem, Kanye West or Tupac in order to reach the lost.

Theological views may vary but one of Christianity’s common agendas is to glorify the Father in all we do. Some things in life are neutral- I got that. But this is not neutral. Lyrics such as these mock the Father and are in deep conflict with biblical truth. As we go “from this place” into the world as ambassadors for the King let us make sure that “this place” is preserving biblical truth and pursuing spiritual excellence in all facets of our activities.