“The Walking Dead,” “Community” and other TV shows to watch out for this spring

“Ripper Street,” “How I Met Your Mother” and “30 Rock” are just a few of the shows that are airing this spring.

impawards.com

impawards.com

Trey Soto, Writer

www.impawards.com

Community

Most viewers see “Community” as original, unlike most comedies which are often cliché or preaching a random moral every episode. It returned Feb. 7 and this season promises guest stars and new characters. However, this season will be its last on NBC. Not only have the show times been rescheduled again by the network station, but there were numerous arguments and disputes between actor Chevy Chase and writer, producer and creator Dan Harmon. Harmon was fired during the summer of 2012 when his criticism of Chase went too far. With new writers David Guarascio and Moses Port — consulting producers of “Happy Endings” and co-showrunners of “Just Shoot Me” — Dan Harmon’s involvement will be minimal if not non-existent.

30 Rock

Finishing back on Jan. 31, “30 Rock” lasted seven seasons on NBC. Throughout the series, the cast and crew were able to bring in numerous actors to make cameo appearances, including Oprah Winfrey, Matt Damon and Jennifer Aniston. Despite low ratings over the years, it was nominated for and won numerous awards. In its first year alone, it was nominated for 10 Emmy awards and recently earned SAG awards this year for best TV actor (Alec Baldwin) and actress (Tina Fey). Both actors made the show what it was — quirky, odd and clever. Although the curtain has fallen on the “30 Rock” stage, Fey’s future career opportunities are great.

Ripper Street

It looks like serial killers might be as popular as vampires and zombies soon. Taking place in the late 1800s in London, “Ripper Street” is based on the aftermath of the infamous murderer, Jack the Ripper. Although he is gone — whether dead or alive — various people, inspired by his work, continue to commit murders. The possibility of Jack returning chills the citizens, as well as detective inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen), and the rest of the members of the local H division. The show is both a well-written and a well-acted mystery drama. It has already been confirmed by BBC America for a second season in 2014. However, due to graphic images of dying or murdered victims, viewer discretion is advised.

How I Met Your Mother

The story of how Ted Mosby met his wife — actress unconfirmed — is one season away from coming to an end. With all the life lessons, fond moments with friends and conflicts with numerous women in Ted’s life, “How I Met Your Mother” has become a successful CBS comedy. It almost came to an end last season when Jason Segel announced he was leaving the series. But with recent confirmation by the entire cast for another season, including Segel, the HIMYM season nine script is ready to be written. Just about every season has received positive reviews which sets the bar for high expectations for the audience. Everyone’s question will be answered: How did Ted meet his wife? 

The Walking Dead

After taking a two-month holiday break starting back in late November, “The Walking Dead” returned to AMC Feb. 10 for more action, drama and zombie slaying. With new characters replacing those who died in previous seasons, new relationships are tested and each individual has to choose which side to take. More gunfire, torture and questions will be answered this spring. Season three, as of right now, is the climax of character development along with the amount of blood and gore. With over 12 million views on its return Feb. 11th and, “Walking Dead” audiences won’t have to wait much longer to see who will kill and be killed.

The Following

There have been numerous fictional and nonfictional storylines about serial killers who escape from prison. But what would happen if these cold-blooded murderers and kidnappers formed an alliance and connected with one another? This is what “The Following” is all about. After former English professor and serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy) escapes from prison to finish his work, retired detective Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) is asked to come back and catch him again. In the pilot episode alone, more than five people were brutally murdered. There were constant flashbacks and an unexpected ending that left audiences shocked and wanting more. One of a few current competing shows based on serial killers, “The Following” is slowly attracting viewers and earning positive ratings by reviewers. Due to the graphic violence of blood and gore, it can be a difficult show to stomach. Watch at your own risk.