AS and SMU kick off campaign week

Candidates launch social media and advertising at midnight to kick off campaign week.

Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Anna Frost, Writer

The clock strikes midnight on February 13 and students immediately head out to creatively campaign all over the campus. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Associated Students presidential candidates used the AS and Student Missionary Union campaign week’s midnight start time to their advantage. In the early hours of Wednesday morning, campaign teams put up posters throughout campus and covered the sidewalk outside the Student Union Building with chalk drawings.

Junior mathematical science major Megan Beatty and sophomore biblical studies major Cody Nord are running against junior business administration major Evan Tan and sophomore communications major Becky Gallacher for AS president and vice president. Despite their status as competitors, the candidates prayed together around 11 p.m. on Tuesday night, just before campaign week officially began.

“Our number one priority isn’t to win, it’s to stay humble and see God glorified,” Beatty said.

The Beatty-Nord campaign drew attention early Wednesday morning after their team added color to the mailboxes. Bright sticky notes covered the outside of the mailboxes, projecting the initials “B” and “N.” Each sticky note had “Vote Beatty Nord” printed in black marker.

“It was creative,” said sophomore biochemistry major Helen Boorman. “It was interesting to see — very bright. It definitely caught my eye.”

The sticky notes violated Biola’s posting rules because the mailboxes are not an approved location and Associated Students asked the Beatty-Nord campaign to take them down, said senior Amy Howard, AS and Student Missionary Union office manager. She said the candidates and their team quickly complied with the request and AS will not take any further action.

Posters for SMU presidential candidates junior psychology major Roddy Garcia, junior intercultural studies major Lucy Harig, junior biochemistry major Weston Hancock and junior intercultural studies major Stefan Carlson appeared on pickets and on bulletin boards around campus. Many candidates said that they are using social media in addition to posters and going door-to-door in the dorms to introduce themselves to students.

Senate candidates focus their campaign strategy on the dorm in which they are running, instead of bedecking the campus with posters.

Many uncontested candidates said they are leaning toward a less aggressive campaign strategy.

Uncontested off-campus community senator candidate Zurich Lewis said he plans to speak with students in the Collegium this week in order to become more familiar with the community.

Students can expect to see more of the candidates as the week progresses, specifically in the campaign video during chapel Feb. 15 and at the Feb. 19 debate at the Fireplace Pavilion.