AS Senate Rundown: Feb. 7, 2013

The senate passed one proposal and heard two more.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Christine Chan and Katie Nelson

SAME-DAY PROPOSALS

• Senators heard and passed a proposal from sophomore Brady Brewster, Horton Hall senator, requesting $750 to fund a Horton broomball event. The money will be used to rent the venue, East West Ice Palace in Cerritos, and to fund a Starbucks travel carrier, a photographer and a plaque for the winning broomball team. Nearly half the funds will be used to rent the rink. The senators discussed the use of contingency funds on a one-dorm event before voting.

“[The Horton senators] will be using this as their rounds and introducing the new senators,” said junior Laura Cook, AS senior vice president. “This will be a cool opportunity for the new senators to meet everyone.”

PENDING PROPOSALS

• Senators heard a proposal from junior Evan Tan, vice president of finance, requesting $3,600 to purchase a renewed subscription for 100 weekly copies of the New York Times. Biola has been providing the newspaper for students for years. Copies will be distributed to four campus locations Monday through Friday for the rest of the semester. The funds will go toward covering the $0.50 cost per paper, as well as providing the delivery person’s salary. Unused copies of the paper will be credited toward Biola’s account with the New York Times College Readership Program. 

• Senior Matt Fier, religious lectures coordinator, requested $1,550 to help cover the Heart of Worship Conference, which takes place the Friday after Easter break. The funds will go toward an honorarium, green room and lodging for the performers. If AS did not provide funding, it would come out of Fier’s facilities budget, which would significantly scale down the event, he said.