Campus Safety and sheriffs watch crime drop in 2012

As 2012 comes to a close, La Mirada has seen a drop in crime.

Campus safety chief John Ojeisekhoba speaks to Dr. Corey during the November 29, 2011 training the new bike patrol team. They will begin patrolling campus in January. | Courtesy of Biola Campus Safety

Anna Frost, Writer

Crime at Biola University reached an all-time low in 2012, said Campus Safety Chief John Ojeisekhoba. La Mirada continued its trend of reduced crime in 2012, while the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department saw a spike in the overall crime rate, according to preliminary data reported by the LASD.

Students warned against complacency amid low campus crime rate

There were no instances of Part 1 crime — crime that Biola is required to report to the federal government — such as violent crime and more significant property crime, Ojeisekhoba said. This record low for 2012 beat the similarly low rate of the previous year, according to the 2012 Annual Security and Fire Safety report. The report showed one incident of burglary on campus, one off-campus burglary and one instance of motor vehicle theft for 2011.

However, students should not take this security for granted, Ojeisekhoba said. Petty theft, especially of electronic items left unattended, is still present at Biola, he said.

“We need help from students for prevention. Criminals, they never take a day off,” Ojeisekhoba said.

Overall, Biola’s campus crime rate remains significantly lower than La Mirada's. One factor contributing to the low amount of crime among Biola students is that the majority of offenders tend to be non-students, Ojeisekhoba said.

Despite this fact, Campus Safety continuously monitors campus for suspicious activity and takes a proactive approach to crime by using technology and adapting plans throughout each semester.

“We don’t sit on our hands. I continue to lead and develop strategies,” Ojeisekhoba said.

For example, after recent incidents at Creek Park, Campus Safety sent cautionary emails advising students to totally avoid the low-visibility area.

Reduced crime in La Mirada  

La Mirada’s crime rate dropped by 1.45 percent between 2011 and 2012, according to the preliminary Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department report.

The report also showed that the reduced 2012 crime rate is part of a larger decrease of 23.9 percent in La Mirada over the past five years.

“It’s a very safe area, I’m very confident in saying that,” said Lt. Patrick Valdez of the La Mirada Sheriff’s Substation.

The biggest issues in La Mirada crime are residential and vehicular burglary, Valdez said. He recommended that off-campus commuters keep their houses well lit and students avoid leaving items, regardless of value, out in plain sight in their cars. In addition, Valdez suggested that runners exercise in pairs and only use one earbud to listen to music.

Like Ojeisekhoba, Valdez said students should avoid developing complacent attitudes toward crime.

“Anything can happen at any time, anywhere, to anyone,” he said.

Crime spike remains part of overall downward trend as sheriffs celebrate record low

The crime rate in areas patrolled by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department rose by 4.16 percent from 2011 to 2012, according to preliminary data in the department crime report.

This slight spike is the least notable part of 2012 crime statistics and is still part of an overall downward trend in crime, Capt. Michael Parker, public information officer for the Sheriff's Headquarters Bureau, said. 2012 had the second lowest crime rate in 42 years, while 2011 had the first, according to Parker.

Overall, crime declined by 16.04 percent over the last five years, according to the report.

The most significant change for 2012 was the decrease of the homicide rate, according to Parker.

Homicides decreased by 2.58 percent from 2011, according to the preliminary 2012 report.

Parker attributed part of the department’s success in crime prevention to increased public awareness of crime.

“It’s not an accident that these successes have been reached, but we don’t receive all the credit,” Parker said.

As the new year progresses, the La Mirada Sheriff’s Department plans to maintain collaboration with Campus Safety, including meeting with Ojeisekhoba and sending deputies to check up on campus each week, Valdez said.

Many students felt assured by the decreased campus crime rate.

“I like it because we wake up for 5 a.m. practice and we feel safe, it’s not sketchy to walk to the pool,” said junior swimmer Joslyn Kiel.

Others have noticed Campus Safety’s prevention efforts and feel optimistic about their efforts to reduce crime as time continues.

“I know they upped the security in the library, where I work; they put a few cameras in there just to stop laptop thefts and stuff. It’s good, I think it’s working,” said sophomore business major Nick Barron-Kertis.

Campus safety chief John Ojeisekhoba speaks to Dr. Corey during the November 29, 2011 training the new bike patrol team. | Courtesy of Biola Campus Safety [file photo]