Ministry of the week: building relationships south of the border

One Biola club builds relationships with children in an orphanage in Tijuana.

Courtesy | Tijuana Ministry

Jason Wheeler, Writer

Junior Adam Bosch plays with one of the kids in the orphanage. | Courtesy of Tijuana Ministry

There is no shortage of orphaned children in this world. While many of them go unnoticed, Tijuana Ministry works to bless the lives of the children at Niños de la Promesa, an orphanage in Tijuana. The ministry crosses the border to visit them once a month throughout the semester. Ministry leader Taylor Best, a junior sociology major, described what the ministry does during their five to six hours with the kids.

Since Tijuana is located near the ocean, the ministry usually takes the kids to beach where they can surf and build sand castles. They also tell Bible stories through skits, with a craft that usually goes along with the lesson. The day ends with worship and a piñata for the kids.

Best also described a prayer project they did on their last trip, where they collected and prayed for the kids’ prayer requests.

Showing Christ's love during the holiday season

Last Saturday, the ministry went on their annual Christmas trip. Sophomore art major Bailey Brigman told of her excitement in being able to celebrate Christmas with the kids and show them Christ’s love through tangible gifts, like goody bags prepared at meetings.

“We do extra activities to celebrate Christmas with the kids and make them feel special and loved,” Brigman said. “It’s the one holiday that’s special to them.”

Even ministries can become set in their ways. In order to make sure they squeeze the most out of their time together, the leadership is implementing new ideas for the group. These include debriefs on the way home and the week after the trip, and expanding activities to be suitable for the orphanage’s older teenagers. Currently, the activities are devotionals, but more will be established later on.

"Even if they don't decide to stay in Mexico."

Another new outlet for the ministry is Spanish lessons during their weekly meetings.

“We just teach key words to be able to communicate to the students,” senior sociology major and Tijuana native Alejandra Kim-Arredondo said. “But we mostly just encourage them to interact with the kids.”

Brigman, also a Spanish minor, noted how the Spanish lessons have been beneficial to her, helping improve her Spanish speaking ability. Brigman said she has felt the kids’ grace when she errs in her speaking and she rejoices in speaking about the Lord in another language.

Brigman also said the trips have had an impact on her, culminating in believing the Lord is calling her to spend at least a semester as one of the caregivers at the orphanage. Best spoke of this sort of passion in her vision for the ministry.

“[My vision] is to put in people a passion for orphans, to follow the great commission and spread the gospel,” Best said. “I hope Tijuana Ministries is a starting point for people to get a passion in ministry. Even if they don’t decide to stay in Mexico.”