Prospective students get a feel for what it’s like to be a Biolan at University Day

Prospective students previewed Biola on Nov. 11 and 12.

On Sunday night, current and prospective students eat dinner together on Metzger lawn. | Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Rachel Snyder, Writer

Remember deciding which college to go to? Remember how the mail was overwhelming? Maybe you were lost in all the flyers and folders that screamed “Come to this university!” Narrowing down your top five may have been easy, but soon you had to make the decision of where you’d spend the next four years of your life — or five, for our dear nursing majors. For some of us, that time was less than a year ago.

On Sunday, prospective students and their parents poured onto Biola’s campus, looking for a sign that Biola is for them. For many prospective students, a night at Biola can reveal the answers to all their unresolved questions.

Trusting that God is in control of the university process

Cherish Sharp, a high school senior from Mission Viejo, is in the process of visiting the universities on her list.

“In eighth grade my dad took me here and I didn’t like it at all,” she said.

As people from her church began to talk more and more about Biola, she started warming up to the idea of attending. With a change of heart, she toured Biola again and really liked it.

“I love the environment … people here are very friendly and welcoming,” Sharp said. “Everyone has bright faces and you see God’s presence in them.”

As she continues her senior year, Sharp is nervous about getting accepted into the competitive nursing program. That doesn’t stop her from keeping a heavenly mind-set.

“I’m just looking forward to where God is going to take me, and trusting him where he’s going to take me on this journey,” she said. “If it’s meant to be, he’ll let it be.”

The importance of being a good host

As students got a feel for what living at Biola will be like, freshmen like Natasha Guaracha and her roommate Cami Akins guided them around campus as Eagle Hosts. Both were driven to become Eagle Hosts from their experiences as prospective students. Before Guaracha came to preview the school at Biola Bound last year, Biola wasn’t even on her radar.

“When I came here I just felt the Lord’s presence,” she said, “and my host just helped me have an even better experience and I fell in love with this school. As soon as I got home I applied. I went from not even wanting to be here to loving it.”

As hosts, Guaracha and Akins answered questions, gave tours, and went to the events with their prospective students.

“Some people were ready to take Biola off their list, and now it’s at the top,” Guaracha said.

According to Akins, the highlight of University Day was definitely Midnight Madness.

“The girls were screaming and couldn't wait to go inside,” Akins said.

The giant pep rally kicked off with Biola’s cheer team, the Xopoc dance team, sports teams and videos, and ended with the classic red and white confetti raining from the ceiling.

“If I came during Midnight Madness I would've been like, ‘Wow, I want to go here,’” Akins said.

Torrey Academy a taste of Biola

Jacob Waller, a high school senior interested in cinema and media arts, stayed in Hart Hall for University Day. He’s already gotten a head start in experimenting with cinematography with his friends and was looking forward to seeing the Production Center. The Orange County native has his eyes solely set on Biola, thanks to Torrey Academy — which is the high school version of the Torrey Honors Institute. Torrey Academy has given him a chance to meet people in the Torrey program, getting him excited about going to school at Biola. Waller is excited to be a part of Biola’s mission.

“I really find this university a wonderful place to be for a Christian student who’s ready to make a difference in the world,” he said. “What's unique about Biola is that they are Christ-centered. It’s not a Christian university where the Christian faith is a privatized commitment.”

Waller looks forward to being in an environment where Christians his age are using their gifts and growing spiritually to make a difference in the world.