Sola Soul to feature Keno Camp and Commoners & Kings

The annual Sola Soul event will be held in Sutherland due to the possibility of rain and will feature a number of different acts.

Don Sevilla, who goes by “Bboy Don,” kicks the night off with some breakdancing. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Danielle De Phillips, Writer

Don Sevilla, who goes by "Bboy Don," kicks the night off with some breakdancing. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Sola Soul, Biola’s annual hip-hop concert, will be held in Sutherland Auditorium, despite plans to have it outside for the first time in recent years. The event was shifted on Thursday due to a last-minute possibility of rain. Students attending tonight can expect an amped up engagement between artists and the audience. The Multi-Ethnic Programs and Development event starts at 6:15 p.m. and will feature artists including Keno Camp and Commoners & Kings.

Sola Soul is designed for students to engage in forms of worship that are different from the contemporary ones so common today. Students can anticipate an event full of beat rhythms and dance moves.

Hip-hop as an expression of worship

Gonzalez said the event started when an alumnus named Jonathan Calvillo with a passion for hip-hop who is now a professor here at Biola in the sociology department.

During the early years of Sola Soul, people from the community that shared Calvillo’s passion for hip-hop heard about the event through word of mouth, and came to glorify God and express themselves through different forms of worship, said Gonzalez.

“We really have a heart for the community and reaching out to the urban community,” Gonzalez said. “I really want to be able to be a part in a way of developing this type of worship and this type of expression of who God is through hip-hop.”

Gonzalez is participating in the growth of the hip-hop ministry by helping coordinate Sola Soul, and explains that the bands are an important reason for this growth.

“In the midst of this hip-hop culture that’s all about ‘myself,’ and ‘I’m the best out there,’ these groups are so amazing and humble,” Gonzalez said.

Gospel rap group Keno Camp, who will be performing this year, exemplifies this humility that Gonzalez mentioned.

Performers desire to put Christ on display and touch lives 

Keno Camp originated in Compton with just one member named Jerk. He stated that through prayer and obedience to God he was able to connect with different rappers who were serious about their faith to start the band. Keno Camp now consists of eight artists and multiple staff members. Keno Camp has their music featured on the radio and has the opportunity to perform at many different venues.

“I believe what God put inside of us will radiate outward, and hopefully we can touch lives and change lives through our music,” Jerk said.

Jerk stated that they want the crowd to be responsive and enthusiastically participate, but in the end they want the ultimate call to be to Christ.

“Our main focus is to put Christ on display, to show him to the world,” Bookie said.

Although Keno Camp has a high calling to Christ, Jerk explains how God is still seeking to use him for more than just the band.

“I’ve found a new purpose: even though I am a Christian, I’m going to go harder for Christ, and I’m going to do more because I know I can because God is constantly calling us to a higher calling,” Jerk said.