Biola Underground supporters advertise upcoming panel

Biola Queer Underground supporters displayed posters and distributed flyers on Friday morning before being asked to leave by Campus Safety.

+%7C+John+Buchanan%2FTHE+CHIMES

John Buchanan

| John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Elizabeth Sallie, Writer

A Biola Queer Underground supporter by Fluor Fountain encourages passers-by to attend a panel on sexuality hosted by the BQU next Friday. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

UPDATED 11/16/12, 4:45 p.m.

The woman on the fountain handing out fliers proudly wore her “Here and Queer” shirt because she feels no fear about LGBTQ issues.

Ruth Myers, the BQU ally on the fountain and a graduate of a small college in Minnesota, said her interactions with Campus Safety when they asked her to leave the campus were peaceful.

“For me, [passing out flyers was] not a risk. I think it’s a risk to live and go to a university … that tries to suppress people from being who they are. To me, I feel like it’s not a risk to be who I am,” Myers said.

University response to advertisements

Danny Paschall, dean of students, said that Biola’s rules of advertisements are the same as other private universities in an email.

“We think it’s important as a community to advertise events that support the values of our institution.”

If BQU had requested permission to advertise an event that supported the university’s values, they would have been granted permission, he said.

The university has not ruled out hosting their own panel with voices opposing Biola’s statement on human sexuality, he said.

“We are still in the process of thinking through a thoughtful approach to bringing outside views related to Sexual Identity matters,” his email read.

They will be thinking about creative ways to engage the community in conversations about sexual identity after the fall semester, Paschall said.

End of update 11/16/12, 4:45 p.m.

Three Biola Queer Underground supporters displayed posters and handed out flyers Friday morning in the organization’s first public on-campus appearance since May. Wearing T-shirts that read “BQU is Alive” and “Here and Queer,” they displayed signs advertising a “Queer Panel.” They held signs near Fluor Fountain, Sutherland and the Fireplace Pavilion for just a few minutes until Campus Safety asked them to leave campus.

The supporters, who are not Biola students, were asked to leave because they did not follow the proper procedure for advertising on campus, according to Jenna Bartlo, media relations coordinator. Campus Safety Chief John Ojeisekhoba, dressed in street clothes, spoke with the students.

“The response from Campus Safety was a desire to be peaceful and [have a] more loving response,” Bartlo said.

BQU supporters leave after failure to receive approval to demonstrate

After a conversation lasting less than five minutes, the BQU allies left campus peacefully, without being escorted, Bartlo said. The conversation included instructions on how to properly demonstrate and advertise at Biola — both of which require approval from Student Development. All postings and flyers on campus must be cleared before distribution; BQU’s were confiscated for failure to follow this protocol.

Miguel Dominguez, one of the BQU allies, said he wanted to help out with promoting the event.

“I have friends who are part of [the Biola Queer Underground.] I know people who are involved in it and things like that. I feel like it’s important to support each other,” he said.

The panel that the colorful signs advertised is a collaboration between BQU and Soulforce, a well-known group that advocates for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer rights, particularly in religious settings. The panel, which will be the first BQU-sponsored public event and titled “Gender & Sexuality Matter,” will take  place at the La Mirada Resource Center on Nov. 16 at 6:30 p.m.

Bartlo said the university was made aware through social media postings from last night that the Underground was planning the panel, which may have contributed to the speedy response. Campus Safety had the normal amount of staff on duty.

Student Development was unavailable for comment, due to a retreat that will last the rest of the day.

Panel to feature alumni

Next Friday, Soulforce members will speak on the Bible and homosexuality, followed by a panel of Biola alumni. The alumni will share about their experiences at Biola while dealing with their sexuality.

Most of the alumni have graduated in the past ten years, a Biola Queer Underground member said. The member emphasized the alumni stories as a way for students to understand what current students dealing with LGBTQ issues are going through, though they may not talk about it.

The panel, which BQU notes on Facebook is not a Biola-endorsed event, will present from a perspective that disagrees with Biola’s stance of marriage between one man and one woman.

“This perspective [the audience] will hear is one that still respects the Bible as God’s word, but interprets it differently as the fact that marriage can be also defined as between two men or two women and [the audience] should be open to hearing about transgender issues,” said one member of the Underground, who has asked to remain anonymous.

The BQU has been partnered with Soulforce over the last year. The Underground member said that it was Soulforce’s work with other Christian colleges that helped inspire the organization.

The Underground announced their presence on campus last May through a similar guerilla marketing campaign of posters, flyers and business cards immediately after chapel. The group describe themselves on their website as “like-minded LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer) students and allies who have formed a private underground community in which we share our life struggles, as well as our love and support for one another.”

Their website launch sparked numerous conversations about sexuality across campus, including a “family discussion” during the last Friday morning chapel of the year, where university president Barry Corey affirmed Biola’s stance on same-sex relationships. Those conversations have carried over into this semester, including a panel on human sexuality at the beginning of the semester and a chapel series with Regent University professor Mark Yarhouse to take place in early December.

Panel to feature alumni