Revive Ministry launches Biola House of Prayer

House of Prayer searches for a location.

OLIVIA BLINN

(Left to right) Junior Sean Mickelson, senior Luke Cheng, and junior Charlie Welikala participate in worship and prayer at the Biolae House of Prayer on Tuesday, Nov. 6. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Jonathan Gramenz, Writer

(Left to right) Junior Sean Mickelson, senior Luke Cheng, and junior Charlie Welikala participate in worship and prayer at the Biola House of Prayer on Tuesday, Nov. 6. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Revive Ministry launched the ongoing prayer and worship area, Biola House of Prayer, on Oct. 21 in the Student Union Building.

A meeting between AS and Revive will take place on Friday regarding BHOP’s future schedule, according to Revive director David Walton.

More than 150 people attended the kickoff for this 24-hour event, including non-Biolans. About 80 percent of those who participated were Biola students, and the rest were leaders from local churches and prayer houses, said Revive prayer coordinator Grace Han. However, some people came from places as far as Washington.

“[These leaders] came to support BHOP, and also because they believe in the vision of a house of prayer being established at Biola,” Han said.

The desire to have a house of prayer

BHOP is based on the International House of Prayer, which was launched in Kansas City, Mo. in 1999. IHOP is “an evangelical missions organization that is committed to praying for the release of the fullness of God’s power and purpose,” according to its website.

The BHOP kickoff was well-received by participants, according to Han. Different worship bands provided music throughout the night.

“God is stirring up revival in the hearts of Biola students as they intercede and bring worship to him in spirit and in truth,” said sophomore worship set leader Drizelle Baluyot. “This is a place where the body of Christ comes together and prays not only for this school, but for one another.”

The search for a location

Revive originally planned for BHOP to be held every day in the SUB but space in the SUB cannot be reserved, according to Amy Howard, the Associated Students office manager.

“The kickoff here was great, because a lot of students go through the SUB, but because it is the SUB, we don’t reserve the middle SUB as well as the conference rooms,” Howard said. “We reserved it for a week for the kick off, and Revive can have an event once a week in a conference room."