AS Senate Rundown: Nov. 6, 2012

The senate passed eight proposals, denied one and heard six new proposals.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Kristina Nishi, Writer

PASSED

• Senators partially passed senior Psi Chi vice president Matt Fier’s request for money for his club. They gave him $350 of the $500 he asked for, which will only cover speaker honoraria and facilities fees — not the miscellaneous supplies the club planned to buy.

• Senators passed senior CrossFit club president Miles Bocianski’s request for $1,200 for exercise equipment. The money will cover the cost of four bar bells and three sets of collars. The club has grown in size, and the members need more equipment to use during their meetings.

• Senators passed sophomore InfiKnit club vice president Sarah Sjoberg‘s request for $70 for sets of knitting needles. The money will cover about 10 more sets for the club members.

• Senators partially passed women’s lacrosse president senior Lindsey Welch’s request for additional club funding. The senate gave her $1,400 instead of the requested $1,600 since they decided the club members should pay their own league dues, as this is the norm at other schools.

• Senators passed senior John Santa Ana’s request for $1,811.96 for Hart Hall’s annual Deck the Haven Christmas event. This will buy 25 200-count lights, storage bins, room funding, extra food and extra decoration supplies. More than 1,000 people attended last year, and some from the community also attended.

• Senators passed Hope Hall the request for $800 for the dorm’s annual December’s Eve all-hall from resident assistants sophomore Cody Nord and junior Melany del Carpio. The money will cover food, karaoke, decorations and other activities. This is the ninth year that Hope has hosted this event, and more than 400 people attended last year.

• Senators passed AS club coordinator junior Brett Kobold’s request for $296 as an honorarium for his assistant, Jordan Keiter. Keiter has worked 37 hours so far this semester, and will be paid not only for that, but for the hours he will work in the future.

• Junior vice president of finance Evan Tan requested and received $400 for the Faith and Tech Week’s pizza event. The two speakers will be Andrew Hartman, a senior project manager at Caliber Media Group, and Danielle Thomas, a division director at Office Team.

PENDING

• Junior Biola Dive Club president Steven Lopez requested $3,000 for gear rental, boat rental, certifications, air fills, club attire and an underwater camera. The club goes diving at least twice a month, and scuba certification counts as PE credit for Biola students.

• AS spirit events coordinator junior Ashley Nelson requested $649 for a premium annual passport to Disneyland as a prize for participating in the Red Sea card tradition. The purpose behind the Red Sea card is to promote attendance at Biola’s basketball games. Stamps will be handed out at these games, and once students collect ten stamps on their card, they can turn it in at the AS office front desk and will be entered into a drawing for the annual pass.

• Fifth year nursing student and Coalition for Social Action coordinator Jessica Jesudasen proposed a name change for the department. The new name would be Kingdom Justice. The purpose for this change is to allow easier understanding of the department’s overall mission.

• Senior Sigma senator Samuel McRae requested $384.57 for three Blu-Ray players, warranties and HDMI adapters for MacBooks. The Blu-Ray players will replace the broken VHS and DVD players in the three Sigma lobbies.

• Sophomore Alpha East senator Nikki Garcia requested $668.24 for the Alpherson Christmas party. This goal of this event is to strengthen the bond between Alpha and Emerson and foster community in the two dorms. The money will cover the cost of food, a photo booth, publicity, games and decorations.

• Junior Star Wars club president Raymond Mendiola IV requested $1,000 for a university-wide “Star Wars Day.” The money would cover prizes, food, advertising and setup fees. The club invited the 501st and Rebel Legion groups, which are volunteer organizations that raise money for charities. In addition to this, the event will also raise money for Biola’s Brown Bag ministry.

DENIED

• Senators denied the request for $1,390 to send 10 club members to the American Anthropological Association’s annual meeting in San Francisco this November from senior Anthropology Guild president Jessica Carter and sophomore vice president Tate Harpster. Senators reported that they discussed the idea with their constituents and students were not interested or were not supportive of AS spending money on this. The Anthropology Guild already has nine members going to the conference.