Oak tree commemorating late Ken Bascom planted in Hope roundabout

An oak tree was planted in the Hope Hall roundabout in honor of the late Ken Bascom, Biola’s senior director of facilities planning.

David Wahlman/THE CHIMES

Shonette Reed, Writer

Correction: The money for the tree was originally attributed to coming from the president’s contingency fund. The Chimes regrets this error.

A new tree in the roundabout at Hope Hall was planted in recognition of Ken Bascom, Biola’s senior director of facilities planning, who passed away this summer. Bascom, who worked at Biola for 42 years, oversaw campus plans and construction until his death in June.

The coast live oak tree, planted Oct. 21, is meant to symbolize “oaks of righteousness,” like the ones mentioned in Isaiah 61:1-3, according to president Barry Corey’s address to the faculty on Aug. 21.

“Ken Bascom loved trees,” Corey said in the speech. “He knew almost every tree on campus and could tell you its species.”

An oak tree to represent deep roots

Brian Phillips, senior director of facility services, said Bascom could also add the fact that there wasn’t a single oak tree on the university’s campus.

There will be a short dedication service to commemorate Bascom on Nov. 19 at 10:30 a.m in front of Hope. 

“And as we do this as a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor … we will be called oaks of righteousness. Unshakeable. Strong and stately. Deep roots. A solid core. Life giving. And standing the test of all time,” Corey said in his speech.

After Corey made the decision to plant an oak, Phillips was designated to find the tree and oversee its planting. The money came from president’s contingency fund for the coast live oak tree, which is native to the West Coast.

Hope Hall one of Bascom's biggest projects

Built in 2003, Hope Hall was Bascom’s biggest project because it was the first residence hall to be built in nearly a decade. Bascom wanted to do something special with the new dorm — making it reflect the Downtown Los Angeles campus, with photographs on the walls or lobby, according to Brian Shook, administrative director.

“Ken was also like a historian at heart as well; especially Biola’s history, he knew it very well,” Shook said.

Along with showing the school’s history through photography, Bascom wanted to plant a 100-year-old centennial oak tree in the traffic circle in front of Hope. The centennial oak would be a representation of Biola’s 100 years as an institution. Corey had no prior knowledge of Bascom’s intention of putting a centennial oak in front of Hope before making the decision to plant the current oak.  Bascom’s previous request was not fulfilled at the time because the oak was too expensive and too old to risk that much money, Phillips said.