AS Senate Rundown: Oct. 30, 2012

The senate heard eight new proposals and passed one pending proposal requesting $1.500 for the AS Open Forum.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Kristina Nishi, Writer

PENDING

• Senior Psi Chi club vice president Matt Fier requested $500 for the cost of their club events, which would include speaker honoraria, facilities and other supplies. The membership count is approximately 50-60 people, but the club is hoping to grow to 100 within the next year.

• Senior CrossFit club president Miles Bocianski requested $1,200 for exercise equipment, which would include four bar bells and three sets of collars. CrossFit has grown substantially and the club needs more equipment to accommodate the new members. They currently use the gym's equipment, but want members of the Biola community to be able to exercise simultaneously.

• InfiKnit club vice president Sarah Sjoberg requested $70 to cover the cost of knitting needles. The club currently has 18 needle sets for their 30 members, and the money would allow them to buy 10 more needle sets.

• Senior Anthropology Guild president Jessica Carter and sophomore vice president Tate Harpster requested $1,390 to send 10 club members to the American Anthropological Association’s annual meeting in November. The money would cover AAA undergraduate membership and meeting registration. The conference will be held in San Francisco, which offers a rare opportunity for students because of its proximity to Biola, according to Carter.

• Women’s lacrosse president senior Lindsey Welch requested an additional $1,600 on top of club funding, which would cover the cost of mandatory league dues, field lines for the games and referee fees. There are about 20 members, and the club is hoping to grow significantly in the next few years.

• Senior John Santa Ana requested money for Deck the Haven, which is Hart Hall’s annual Christmas event. The minimum funds requested were $975, and the maximum were $1,811.96. The minimum would cover 25 200-count Christmas lights, advertising, food and miscellaneous decoration supplies. The maximum would add five more 200-count lights, storage bins, room funding, extra food and extra decoration supplies. Last year, more than 1,000 people attended, including students and people from the community.

• Hope Hall resident assistants sophomore Cody Nord and junior Melany del Carpio requested $800 for their annual December’s Eve all-hall. The event is a countdown to the start of December and is one of Hope’s most popular events. The money would cover the cost of food, karaoke, decorations and other activities. This is the ninth year that Hope has put on the event, and more than 400 people attended last year.

• AS club coordinator junior Brett Kobold requested $296 as an honorarium for his assistant, Jordan Keiter. The position of assistant had previously been unpaid. With this money, Keiter would be paid for $8 an hour for the 37 hours he has already worked this semester.

PASSED

• Senators passed AS president senior Chris Yim’s proposal for $1,500 for the AS Open Forum. The money will go toward facilities fees, apple cider and advertising. The event would provide an opportunity for students to ask questions and bring up concerns for the AS executive board. The current date is still undecided.