Torrey conference wraps up with reflection time

Torrey Conference wrapped up with a message from pastor Mike Erre and prayer on Friday morning.

Closing out the Torrey Conference, speaker Mike Erre challenges students to seek the person of Christ, suggesting they “read Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and repeat.” | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Katie Nelson, Writer

Closing out the Torrey Conference, speaker Mike Erre challenges students to seek the person of Christ, suggesting they "read Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and repeat." | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

The 2012 Torrey Memorial Bible Conference came to a close on Friday with a final message and a time for reflective prayer for students in attendance.

Mike Erre, the senior pastor of First Evangelical Free Church of Fullerton, gave a closing message entitled “The Jesus We Proclaim” about seeking Jesus’ will in daily life. He recommended reading through the Gospels in order to remind students of Jesus’ words and personhood. Erre especially focused on the attributes of Jesus that shocked and offended the people of his day.

“This is why Jesus was crucified,” Erre said. “He wasn’t Mr. Rogers handing advice out. Nobody would crucify Mr. Rogers.”

After Erre’s message, students were led through a few minutes of reflection. The worship band played softly in the background during this time.

This session was the seventh and last of the three-day conference, which featured multiple speakers and workshop leaders. The penultimate session on Thursday night was led by Jonalyn Fincher, an apologist and author. Fincher spoke about “The Man Behind the Curtain: Good News Without Tricks.” She preached on how many people have a warped perception of God and how it ruins their ability to evangelize.

“Some of us can’t share the good news because frankly, we don’t think there is any,” Fincher said.

Associated Students finished Torrey Conference on Saturday with Serve Day. Worth two conference makeup credits, the community service opportunity involved taking students to the Fred Jordan Mission and the Dream Center in Los Angeles to participate in various activities, such as handing out food to the homeless.