Four museums to check out on Torrey Conference weekend

Have some free time during Torrey Conference weekend? Check out some of these cool museums in LA!

Chelsea Alling, Writer

With Biola’s annual Torrey Bible Conference just around the corner, students may be looking for something to do on their weekend free time. Fortunately, Biola is located just south of Los Angeles, a hub for countless art museums. With several fascinating exhibits coming up this month, students may find that visiting one of these locations will be time well spent during their Torrey break.

Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

The Getty Museum

Website: www.getty.edu/museum/
Location: 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles
Hours: Tues-Fri, Sun: 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., 
Sat: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Drive time: 45 minutes
Price: FREE
Parking: $15

What you need to know: The Getty Museum, located on a hilltop in the Santa Monica mountains, is an art museum that features a vast collection of Western art from the Middle Ages through the present.
Go if you’re looking for: Plenty of great art as well as stunning architecture, a panoramic view of Los Angeles and 134,000 square feet of beautiful plants and flowers in the Central Garden.
Current exhibition: Farewell to Surrealism: The Dyn Circle in Mexico, focusing on an international journal created in Mexico in the 1940s, showing Oct. 2 – Feb. 17, 2013. A particularly interesting collection not only for artists, but writers and historians as well.

Courtesy | Fred Rockwood [Creative Commons]

Annenberg Space for Photography

Website: http://www.annenbergspaceforphotography.org/
Location: Century Park, 2000 Ave. of the Stars, Los Angeles
Hours: Wed-Fri: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m., 
Sat: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m., 
Sun: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Drive time: 45 minutes
Price: FREE
Parking: Evenings and weekends, $1.00 with validation. See website for more details.

What you need to know: The Annenberg Space for Photography is an intimate setting for viewing both digital and print photography.
Go if you’re looking for: World-renowned photography as well as emerging talent. With cutting-edge technology like high-definition projectors and Microsoft Surface tables, visitors can interact with art in a new way. The Annenberg Space also offers workshops and lectures that may require registration fees.
Current exhibition: Who Shot Rock & Roll, showing June 23 – October 21, features 166 concert photography prints and a documentary film created exclusively for the Annenberg Space for Photography.

Courtesy | Kent Weng [Creative Commons]

Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)

Website: http://www.lacma.org/
Location: 5905 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles
Hours: Mon-Tues, Thurs: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., 
Fri: 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., 
Sat-Sun: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., closed every Wednesday
Drive time: 40 minutes
Price: $10 for students. Special tip: free on the second Tuesday of each month and federal holidays.
Parking: Parking is located at the Pritzker Parking Garage on Sixth St, just east of Fairfax Ave, and on the corner of Wilshire Blvd at Spaulding Ave. The $10 charge may be prepaid at the ticket office. Parking is free after 7 p.m. entry.

What you need to know: LACMA is the largest art museum in the western United States, featuring 100,000 objects for all to enjoy.
Go if you’re looking for: An incredibly large range of art collections from contemporary to decorative, Latin American to Egyptian, ancient to modern, and everything in between. LACMA also features the Urban Light sculpture by Chris Burden, a sculpture of 200 vintage lampposts and an iconic Los Angeles landmark.
Current exhibition: Among the many exhibitions currently on display, a particularly unique one is Levitated Mass, a 340-ton granite boulder which traveled from Riverside County — through La Mirada, in fact — to Los Angeles by train. This is one that has to be seen in person.

Courtesy | Elon Schoenholz [Creative Commons]

The Hammer Museum

Website: http://hammer.ucla.edu/
Location: 10899 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles
Hours: Tues-Fri: 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., 
Sat & Sun: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Drive time: 40 minutes
Price: $10 for adults; free for students with ID; free on Thursdays for all visitors
Parking: Available under the Museum. Rates are $3 for the first three hours with museum stamp; $1.50 for each additional 15 minutes. There is a $3 flat rate after 6:00 p.m. There is a $3 flat rate on Saturdays and Sundays.

What you need to know: The Hammer Museum, affiliated with University of California, Los Angeles, is an art museum dedicated to artists past and present.
Go if you’re looking for: A day of cultural enrichment, contemporary art exhibits, and a diverse educational experience — located near Westwood, which is a popular place for college kids to hang out afterwards.
Current exhibition: Graphic Design: Now in Production, an all graphic design show exploring how this field has grown over the past decade. Highly recommended by Daniel Chang, Biola’s graphic design professor.