“Diluvia” solidifies Freelance Whales as indie mainstays

Freelance Whales’ “Diluvia” earns four out of five stars for being unconventional yet accessible.

pastemagazine.com

pastemagazine.com

Dylan Pruchnic, Writer

Freelance Whales, originally from Queens, N.Y., has gone from subway platforms to concert venues — and rightfully so. They are making a big splash in the music world with their lively instrumentals and illusory vocals present in  “Diluvia,” their sophomore album, which was released Oct. 9. Their sound, considered indie pop, is mesmerizing. Freelance Whales has found a way to make playful chord progressions and eclectic instrumentals commendable. This new album is an exploration for every listener as the combination of vocal harmonies and instrumental mismatches creates a sound which can only come from the experimental endeavors of Freelance Whales.

Their music is unconventional but accessible

The very first track, “Aeolus,” welcomes the listener into an enchanting bellow of chimes that melts into harmonious vocal cooing. This song cannot be described as poised or put together, yet the echoing blend of banjo and strings is enough to cause even the most controlled listeners to sway to the mid-tempo beat. It is their playful and unconventional music that keeps the listener intrigued throughout this album. This album showcases their ability to overcome musical stereotypes as they boldly bring together instruments that are usually separated by genre.

In a way, Freelance Whales is a lot like Biola. Only at Biola will you find jocks and music majors sharing a table without tension; only during a Freelance Whales song will you find a synthesizer and a mandolin sharing a measure in perfect harmony. One song on the album that demonstrates this unique ability is the fan-favorite track, “Spitting Image,” which combines banjo, vocal harmonies and bass behind glockenspiel player Doris Cellar — who takes center stage as lead vocalist — in this wonderful arrangement that will force you to hit replay several times.

Brightness abounds on this catchy record

My personal favorite track is “Dig into the Waves.” This song takes the word bright, a sense usually experienced with the eyes, and translates it into a sound understood by the ears. This song is so translucent that the message of self-assurance will brighten up even the darkest days. While indie artists attempt to sound edgy, Freelance Whales have stuck to euphoric lyrics and unique instruments to create something genuinely lovely.

The band and its five members began their collaboration in 2008 and have come a long way since their humble beginnings. Their growing fan base shows promise for success as more people are mesmerized by the dramatic melodies and dream-inspired lyrics of their 2012 album. Lyrics such as, “I don’t want to jump from the starlit star night, my lost love,” on track “Red Star,” will make you want to take the leap of faith and purchase this lyrical vision. Anyone that enjoys the sounds of Young the Giant and The Postal Service will find a special place in their heart and their iTunes library for Freelance Whales and their newest creation, “Diluvia.”