Audience to choose Punk ‘n’ Pie winner for the first time

Changes will be made with Punk ‘n’ Pie’s voting procedures this year.

Staying positive throughout the 5 hours of auditions, senior Social Events Coordinator Michelle Orgill encourages students as they try out for Punk ‘n’ Pie. | Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

Tyler Davis and Tyler Davis

Staying positive throughout the 5 hours of auditions, senior Social Events Coordinator Michelle Orgill attentively watches students as they try out for Punk 'n' Pie. | Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

Sutherland Hall was filled with students last Thursday evening trying out for Biola’s annual Punk ‘n’ Pie talent show, and this year, they are vying for audience votes rather than the judges’ approval.

New voting system

In previous years, a panel of judges made up of various Resident Directors, professors and administrators decided the winner, leaving many students upset with the decision. This year, it will literally be in the student’s hands.

“Because in previous years a lot of students complained about the judge’s decision, we decided to allow the audience to text in their vote for who they think deserves to win,” said senior Michelle Orgill, Social Events Coordinator. “We’re trying to make it a lot like American Idol; there will be a screen playing the event in the Fireplace Pavillion and anyone walking by can text in their vote.”

The show aims to display the many unique talents Biola students have to offer for an audience of hundreds of students. For the first time, parents and alumni will also attend the event, as it is being held during Biola Weekend. Following the show, the audience enjoys free pumpkin pie.

Large turnout at auditions

More students tried out for the event this year than ever before.

“Competition this year is probably the fiercest I’ve ever seen it,” said junior social board member Megan Beatty. “We have over 30 acts competing for just a few spots, so it’s been crazy.”

Beatty also elaborated on the fact that there will be a wide variety of talents seen this year.

“When we originally started Punk ‘n’ Pie, we really wanted Biola to view it as a talent show, because we usually have a lot of music acts, which is great. But we’ve seen a lot of unique things tonight,” she said.

Xopoc members audition on short notice

Many students who audition for Punk n’ Pie decide to do so with very little preparation.

In contrast, Biola’s dance team, Xopoc, auditions for Punk n’ Pie every year. Their act was already choreographed, but they had very little time to practice it. 

“Xopoc just held our auditions last week, so we only had two practices to have everyone together and learning it,” said senior Xopoc leader Ashley Eggleston. “Xopoc has done Punk ‘n’ Pie for as long as I’ve been here, so it’s kind of a part of what we do as a team. Most people audition for Xopoc knowing that we’ll try out for Punk ‘n’ Pie.”