BMX rider Terry Adams shares his love for extreme sports with Biola students

BMX rider Terry Adams, who impressed Biola students with a performance on Friday, talks about how he got into the sport.

OLIVIA BLINN

Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Rachelle Cihonski and Rachelle Cihonski

BMX rider Terry Adams demonstrates flatland tricks next to the Fluor Fountain on Friday, Sept. 21. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

On Friday, in the middle of a relatively quiet afternoon, 2005 X Games gold medalist Terry Adams performed a 20 minute demo of flatland riding for Biola students and staff.

Armed with a bicycle and his Red Bull hat, Adams rode onto the open courtyard area connected to Fluor fountain, a popular hangout spot for Biolans, and stunned passers-by with his skills. This performance was a stop on his tour sponsored by Red Bull, according to Adams’ website.

Adams impresses students with demonstration

“I was just walking by … I think he’s really talented at what he does,” said junior nursing major Alice Na.

Though word of Adams’ presence on campus was not widespread, his mesmerizing performance did not go unnoticed.

“It’s really impressive, I don’t understand how he does it really,” said senior biological science major Kevin Thibert. “It’s crazy how fluid he looks on the bike. It’s almost flawless I think. It’s poetic.”

In a pre-demonstration interview, Adams explained how his childhood exposure to such a unique sport began his successful career in flatland riding. Watching his favorite BMX riders on TV and reading their stories in magazines were a major part of Adams’ exposure to the sport.

“It just kind of intrigued me to want to get started,” Adams said.   

A childhood dream

Adams grew up in Louisiana and got his start in BMX racing at a young age.

“I kind of got my start from racing BMX and then from there I rode on ramps … and from there I crossed over to what I do now, which is BMX flatland, which is just stuff all on the flat ground. I turned pro at age 15; [now] I’m 29. It’s been kind of a long career already. I cannot complain at all,” Adams said.

He credits the professional riders during his childhood as his inspiration for getting on his bike and trying his hand at flatland riding.

“Pretty much everyone at the time that was in the magazines and videos, as a kid I wanted to be a pro rider but didn’t really know why, I just wanted to be in the magazines and be as good as those guys. It was kind of a lifelong dream,” Adams said.

During Hurricane Katrina in 2005, while New Orleans waited out the storm’s fury, Adams used his time to construct what he would consider his most popular trick. He found being outside in the Louisiana heat on his bike was a better option than sitting inside waiting for the city to regain power.

A mission to spread awareness of extreme sports

Adams was only on Biola’s campus for about two hours, but in his response to the question of what he hoped students would take from his visit, he expressed his desire to showcase his life sport to students at Biola.

“To really spread the awareness of extreme sports and what I do … extreme sports are a lot different than traditional sports sports because it’s something that students can walk up and talk to you one-on-one type of thing,” Adams said. “It’s cool to meet people and give advice if they need any or anything I can kind of hand down what I’ve learned on my journey to get where I am.”