Clubs fair approaches, options offer variety for all students

As clubs fair approaches, get a taste of what to expect with Biola clubs and check out a few tried-and-true favorites.

Tyler Otte

(L-R) Theology professor Andy Dracott, senior Anthony Cantu, and sophmore Josh Grossman run the Biola Rugby and Waterpolo tables on Wednesday, September 14, 2011. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Heather Leith and Heather Leith

(L-R) Theology professor and Rugby club adviser Andy Draycott, Anthony Cantu, and Josh Grossman run the Biola Rugby and Water polo tables during last year's clubs fair on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011.  | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

It has been said that happiness is best when shared. If that’s true, then plenty of joy can be found when participating in a club and sharing your passion with others who are on your wavelength. It makes sense — hiking up a steep mountainside feels easier alongside good friends. Watching the Star Wars movies is more enjoyable when other fanatics are quoting it, too. Eating your culture’s traditional meal is richer when you’re seated at a table for 10.

With almost 60 clubs on campus, there seems to be something for everyone when it comes to building community outside of dorms, classes and ministries. New and returning students alike can benefit greatly from club participation, according to senior Natasha Cheeley, Associated Students club director for the 2011-2012 school year.

“Clubs are great to help build community on campus with like-minded people to build the love of God,” Cheeley said.

While a club can spiritually benefit its members, students shouldn’t feel pressure to over-spiritualize the purpose of clubs, stressed junior Brett Kobold, this year’s clubs coordinator.

“Students should join clubs because it provides a community that draws upon the same interest,” Kobold said. “It doesn’t have to be because they need new ways to worship God.”

Cheeley and Kobold recommend these favorites from past years that students should consider joining. However, the list doesn’t end here. Dozens of other clubs will be represented at clubs fair later this semester.

Academic Clubs

Anthropology — Attend lectures, workshops, conferences, etc. pertaining to anthropology.
Crowell — Learn about and discuss investment possibilities in stocks and bonds.
Psi Chi — Advance your knowledge in the field of psychology. Must meet criteria to join.

Cultural Clubs

Biola Asian Student Association — Connect with other Asian-American students on campus.
Black Student Association — Form bonds with other African-Americans both on and off campus.
Unidos — Meet with other Latin-American students and reach out to the inner city.

Hobby Clubs

Cheese — Expand your palate by trying cheeses and other foods from all over the world.
Rich Kids Comedy — Hone your improvisation skills in a team setting and perform improv comedy shows once a month. Audition required.
Star Wars — Discuss the Star Wars films and connect with other fans.

Physical Activity Clubs

Adventure — Foster an appreciation for God’s creation and form bonds while participating in outdoor adventures such as hiking, camping and exploring.
CrossFit — Do a variety of workouts as a group in a positive atmosphere that both challenges and encourages students to push to their next level. Beginners welcome.
Rugby — Play against other schools. No tryouts required.

Want to join or start a club? Email [email protected]
Want to see your club featured in The Chimes? Email [email protected]