Comedy team utilizes improvisation to minister to students

Rich Kids Comedy aims to bring God’s love to others through laughter.

David Wahlman

Team members looks on as junior Michael Mauriello participates in a scene in last Sunday’s show. Rich Kids Comedy Club performed their final show of the year on May 13 in Mayers Auditorium. The free show attracted a full audience. | David Wahlman/THE CHIMES

Tyler Davis and Tyler Davis

Team members looks on as junior Michael Mauriello participates in a scene in last Sunday's show. Rich Kids Comedy Club performed their final show of the year on May 13 in Mayers Auditorium. The free show attracted a full audience. | David Wahlman/THE CHIMES

Biola students participate in many different ministries and outreaches. Some travel to Skid Row to pass out water bottles, others go overseas on mission trips to foreign countries. For Rich Kids Comedy, the mission field is right here and their tool is laughter. On May 13, the comedy team put on a free improv show in Mayers Auditorium. The room filled with laughter as the team improvised a wide variety of scenes including a yoga class, a samurai love story and a visit to a psychiatrist’s office.

“[Junior film major] Blaze Russo and [senior music major] Justin Diaz started the idea and then rounded up three more people,” said team member Kristen Dzialo, a junior transfer communications major. “Then they had auditions in the fall just to see if anyone would even show up and they actually had 37 people show up, which is a big number. After that they found five other people and they just started coming up with sketch ideas.”

A unique approach to comedy

The Rich Kids look at this team as more than just a simple comedy team, but as a ministry. They desire to spread God’s love and joy through the art of making others laugh.

The team takes a worshipful attitude toward comedy. Forgoing the usual profanity and sexual themes found in comedy, the team brings clean comedy to the table while still making people laugh.

“Our goal is basically to reach others with laughter,” Dzialo said. “Some people do ministries through going and giving food or clothing, we try to give laughter as a form of worship. Not only for us but for the audience as well.”

Growing audience enjoys de-stressing

The team has become increasingly popular and has gained dedicated fans that attend every show possible.

“I love Rich Kids; I’ve been to every show they’ve ever done,” freshman art major Bailey Brigman said. “I’m their number one fan and their shows are always great. They always make people laugh and help them relax in stressful times like finals week. “

At a school focused so much on overseas missions and social justice, it can be easy to forget that even Biola students need to be reached. University life is stressful on multiple levels, and experiencing something such as Rich Kids Comedy can truly help one glorify God through rest and laughter.