5 ways to keep your money in your pockets

Photo by Christina Schantz

On a day without classes, students choose to enjoy the sunny California weather at a local park. La Mirada Park is located just across the street from Biola University, making it a convenient get-a-way.

What did you do this Labor Day weekend? Did you hang out with friends? Catch up on sleep? Wait until Monday to start all that reading for Bible class? While many of you might have done one of the above activities, there are a variety of activities you could do with friends over a long weekend that stay within your budget.

PLAY AT THE PARK
Biola University is located just across the street from La Mirada Regional Park. If you like being outdoors or just want to have some fun, grab a bunch of friends and enjoy an afternoon of sports, fellowship and nature. You could turn the outing into an exercise/recreational activity, or you could just chill with your friends. This “change of scenery” could be good.

La Mirada Regional Park is located at 13701 Adelfa Drive.

MOVIE NIGHT
Things as simple as floor movie nights give students something to look forward to as a study break. You and a group of friends can get together in one of the floor lounges; there’s nothing like a good movie with great company. The library has a selection of DVDs, in case you didn’t bring your favorite flicks to Biola with you. If you prefer, you could go to the dollar theatre located at the nearby La Mirada Theatre Center to enjoy some of the more recent movies for a low price!

Directions to La Mirada Theatre Center are located here.

WINDOW SHOPPING
Shopping is not necessarily dangerous…as long as you don’t enter a store! Whether you go to the assortment of small shops at La Mirada Theatre Center or Brea Mall, it could be fun just to look at the items on display without actually purchasing them. Additional plus: simply walking around the mall is a great form of exercise – you may walk a mile without even realizing it!

LIVING THE LOCAL LIFE
There are a variety of places to eat relatively close to Biola. If you want to get off-campus to enjoy a meal or snack with some friends, you could go to the La Mirada Theatre Center (see directions above). IHOP, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, Wendy’s, Panera Bread, Carl’s Jr., and Starbucks can all be found there. Also in close proximity is Stater Bros., surrounded by various small eateries and shops.

STAYING ON CAMPUS
Just because you decide to stay on-campus for a three-day weekend doesn’t mean you will run out of ways to have fun. Whether it’s something as simple as curling up with a good book or scrapbooking, find a favorite hobby that you have not done in a while and make that your day’s activity.