Revive Ministry desires culture of prayer

Revive Ministry begins three week series focused on prayer.

Katie Juranek

Alumna and founder of Revive Ministry, Maggie Hazen (fore) prays and worships next to J.P. Moreland during the meeting on Feb. 9. | Katie Juranek/THE CHIMES

Kyle Hazen, Writer

Biola’s Revive Ministry kicked off the semester by inviting J.P. Moreland to speak on Feb. 9 as part of their three-week series of lectures, the Abide Seminar Series. The series, which aims to encourage students in their faith, is slated to include Nigel Morris for the next two weeks.

Moreland spoke on hearing the voice of God and the role of prayer in the life of a believer. The meeting lasted more than three hours, with students coming in and out as they pleased.

“I really thought it was awesome tonight. What he said really touched me,” said John Campbell, a junior humanities major.

Revive focuses on intercessory prayer

Revive is an intercessory prayer ministry that hopes to ignite a “personal revival” that involves healing and repentance by creating an atmosphere in which students can seek the Lord in community Tabitha Coe said, a junior urban studies major. Revive’s staff is present during the meetings to serve students through prayer and worship in a style that allows songs to flow into each other and choruses to be interposed spontaneously.

“The reason we are here is to provide a place that is open to the entire community to come and worship the Lord,” Coe said.

Revive also conducts regular prayer watches to pray for specific issues and intercedes for other Biola ministries.

Coe asserts that Christians are powerless to change their hearts, but putting one’s heart into a posture of worship can result in transformation by the power of the Holy Spirit. She believes Revive will assist in this transformation to create a culture of prayer and holiness.

Prayer is an integral element of Revive’s ministry. However, Revive recognizes that prayer is difficult for many students and seeks to address this common problem.

“We want people to be able to see why prayer is so important in our lives and that it doesn’t have to be this boring routine,” Coe said.

In addition to the staff, the members of Revive minister to each other in prayer.

Coe explained how a 24/7 house of prayer, ideally modeled after the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, Mo., has been a great desire of hers and others in the ministry. She hopes the Lord will advance this desire and continue to refine and purify the ministry and its members.

“What I do not want to happen is disunity and division because Revive is different than what most people have experienced,” Coe said. “People will call us a charismatic ministry. I don’t think we are a charismatic ministry, that’s not why we’re here. We’re open to the entire Biola community.”

Prophecy, healing and fillings of the Holy Spirit that cause fainting are some of the charismatic beliefs present among the staff and crowd at Revive, which may be different to newcomers. However, Revive is open to discussing any reservations students may have.

Seeking prayer outside chapel

Revive attendees do not receive chapel credit because Coe wants people to seek prayer and worship as individuals and as a community.

Coe desires to see Revive’s participants personally engaged because she asserts a higher level of attention will help people see Jesus Christ for who he is. Coe believes that this will result in personal revival.

“People get the most out of their Biola experience when they engage at a heart level with God,” Coe said. “Revive is a ministry that facilitates that with a community and worship.”

Revive meets Thursday nights at 9 p.m. and during this series their location changes. For more information check www.facebook.com/BiolaRevive or send an email to [email protected].

Kyle Hazen is a sophomore Biblical studies major. He has no relation to Maggie Hazen, the founder of Revive.