University Day sees increase in participants from last year

There were 744 students and family members who participated in this year’s University Day event.

Brieana Jordan, Writer

University Day, presented by Undergraduate Admissions, brought 744 students and their family members this past weekend from Sunday, Nov. 13 to Monday, Nov.14.

Last year there were 439 students and 305 parents/guests who attended the event. This year there was an increase with 471 students and 328 parents/guests who attended according to Bethany Suhr, admissions events coordinator.

“[University Day is] right before our application deadline so it’s a great way for students to come and see the university, see if it’s something they are interested in, and hopefully they end up applying as a result of them coming and visiting,” said Andrea Helmuth, associate director of Undergraduate Admissions.

Importance of campus visits for prospective students

Campus visits are one of the most important factors that play into why a student makes their final decision on which college they will attend. At University Day, there were many opportunities for students to get involved with to experience what Biola is like.

“The purpose of University Day is to help prospective students get a full experience of Biola so that they can hopefully see if it’s a fit for them or not,” said Suhr in an email interview. “We fully understand that Biola is not for everyone, and our hope is that we can help prospective students in the process of making their college decision by showing them what we do have to offer to them.”

Full schedule of events for students and parents

Students who registered for the event payed $25 and it included dinner on Sunday night in the cafeteria, on Monday, breakfast in the cafeteria and an academic luncheon in Chase Gymnasium, as well an overnight stay in one of the residence halls, and a t-shirt. The cost for parents was $20.

High school senior Madison Johnson of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, Calif. said, “[The cafeteria is] amazing. I could be in there all day,” and her favorite meal was the pizza.

The event kicked off on Sunday afternoon with the students who planned to spend the night checking into their assigned residence halls. Along with their Biola t-shirt, they received a schedule of events attached to a Biola lanyard.

Andrew Price, a homeschooled senior from Santa Barbara, Calif., who stayed in Horton Hall, said, “There is a much better environment than other places I have been to like non-Christian colleges.”

Students experience Midnight Madness and chapel

The schedule consisted of events for both parents and students. Events included campus tours and a welcome and kick off session. Included in events for parents only were a banquet, a parent panel and a financial aid seminar. For students, events included a dinner, Singspiration, Meet N’ Mingle and Midnight Madness.

High school senior Joseph Owens of John F. Kennedy High school in La Palma, Calif. said his favorite event was Midnight Madness. “It’s unexplainably awesome,” Owens said.

Chase Gymnasium was packed with current Biola students and prospective students ready for the long awaited event. Midnight Madness showcased the cheerleaders, Xopoc and the athletic teams, including the men’s soccer team who recently won the 2011 Golden State Athletic Conference tournament championship on Saturday, Nov. 12, and the men’s and women’s basketball teams.

On Monday morning, prospective students got the chance to sit in on a chapel where president Barry Corey spoke on Jacob’s dream at Bethel in Genesis 28:10-22. Corey spoke specifically on how prospective students may be in between choosing colleges and how current Biola students may feel like they are spiritually dry and feel God is in and out of their life. Corey went on to say that God is surely working with and through them.

“Well, it’s amazing,” said Johnson about Biola’s community. “It’s how everyone connects here, it’s fun, and everyone is nice to each other, and I like how it is basically about God.”